Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible Engine swap

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
i am thinking of changing the engine in my VY S2 Berlina (v6 eco) to either an LS1 or LS2 in a few years.

I wanted to know if it was actually possible to do it. Meaning if there is enough room in the engine bay, etc. It is currently stock. Has anyone else done it and where can i buy an engine and for how much?

Any advice is great. Thanks

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
The engine will fit perfectly. Yes it is possible but it is really not worth it. Your best bet if you are serious about doing this will be to buy a wreck, and use the engine, wiring, computer ect from that. The cost of doing this will far exceed that of buying an SS or a V8 Berlina.

DUK13Y

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
The engine will fit perfectly. Yes it is possible but it is really not worth it. Your best bet if you are serious about doing this will be to buy a wreck, and use the engine, wiring, computer ect from that. The cost of doing this will far exceed that of buying an SS or a V8 Berlina.

i dont want to buy a new car, i just want a new engine. i know you can buy just the engine but 1: i dont know where from and 2: i dont know how much they are. I think they are about $3000-$5000. i just want to know if it can be done.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
Like i said a wreck will be the easiest way to get all of the parts that you need. It is not as simple as getting a new engine and hooking it up, you need a new transmission, a new wiring harness, a new computer, new engine mounts, possibly new brakes, new headers the list goes on and on, you basicly have to buy a new car just for all of the parts needed. But yes it is totally possible.

Last edited:

DUK13Y

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
ok cool. thanks. i knew it would be a big job. Would it be better to just buy a 2nd hand Clubby and just work from there? or would the engine swap be cheaper?

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
ok cool. thanks. i knew it would be a big job. Would it be better to just buy a 2nd hand Clubby and just work from there? or would the engine swap be cheaper?

The engine swap will end up costing more than buying something that came form the factory as a V8, so yes it would just be better to buy a second hand Clubby.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
seen a couple newies go off on ebay for around 5ish with harness and gearbox. just dont have the a/c compressor, alternator n starter motor. But as bill says, theres extra things that you dont unsally think about when doing an engine swap ie brakes, intake etc

sik_dogg_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Auto
yeah, might pay to shop around for a wreck. maybe the salvage auctions?? this way you can have pretty much everything you need to do the conversion.

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
unless you current car has extensive body mod or a 10 g paint job i wouldnt even bother id sell it then upgrade to vy with a gen 3 fitted as u will have everything from the get go and will cost alot less ....

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
unless you current car has extensive body mod or a 10 g paint job i wouldnt even bother id sell it then upgrade to vy with a gen 3 fitted as u will have everything from the get go and will cost alot less ....

Totally agree, you would be far better off doing it this way.
The cost of such a conversion could blow out and unless you plan to drive the car for years to come then it's simply not worth your while imo.