Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible faulty temp sensor? 1994 VR V6 Commodore.

Jasminka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cerise Caprice
The car seems to play up after I go to drive it after sitting for a couple hours. The car reaches 3/4 after 10 mins and then I shut it off and wait 30mins or so. Start it up again and it runs mint
I had something like that. It was due to air in the system. A proper coolant bleed fixed the issue.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I had something like that. It was due to air in the system. A proper coolant bleed fixed the issue.
also don't overlook a new radiator cap.
Its cheap, and I have found often not replaced when chasing down overheating issues.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
also don't overlook a new radiator cap.
Its cheap, and I have found often not replaced when chasing down overheating issues.
Cheers. I replaced the radiator cap as well about a month prior. Let’s just say the old radiator cap was a bit ancient

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Do you guys know whether a faulty fan relay would be totally stuffed (as in not work entirely/ at all) or if they can still fail but only work sometimes?
Im starting to think this is the issue not. Coolant has been bled out properly at the time I did maintanence.
Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pull the fan relay and check the sockets it plugs into. These have a habit of burning out or at least melting and give poor contact. This can definitely cause the relay to stop working thus the fans stop and coolant boiling in traffic.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Pull the fan relay and check the sockets it plugs into. These have a habit of burning out or at least melting and give poor contact. This can definitely cause the relay to stop working thus the fans stop and coolant boiling in traffic.
Cheers mate. If that was the case, would it always be playing up, or just randomly?
Will definitely check out what you said.
Thanks again

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Cheers mate. If that was the case, would it always be playing up, or just randomly?
Will definitely check out what you said.
Thanks again
Hard to say, certainly in hot weather you will notice it more as the fans will be running hard, especially with AC on. If you can shine up the sockets it will give you less grief. They tend to tarnish up which is why the sockets melt.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Hard to say, certainly in hot weather you will notice it more as the fans will be running hard, especially with AC on. If you can shine up the sockets it will give you less grief. They tend to tarnish up which is why the sockets melt.
Will definitely try that. This issue never happened until I put a new radiator and thermostat in the car. I find it unlikely that it is the thermostat as it would either work fine or not at all right?