Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible timing chain rattling and clacking loud! Need urgent help

Timing chain noise?

• Total voters

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR V6 Turbo Ute, 99 STI EJ207 GT FORESTER
http://www.youtube.com/embed/lSQ0a0MghzA

Above is a link to this horrid noise my car is now making.

I need to know if it is the timing chain rattling around and making a racket cause this is my daily and it is sitting at home idle while i try get this diagnosed.

Basic history of noises:

-6 months ago, started a slight rattle when revs around 1100-1300 rpm at idle and sometimes returning to idle (when hot)
-Progressively got louder and more frequent and started happening when cooler
-Started having a feint rattle on idle (marbles in can) when warm and then a louder rattling when revved
-The other day after boosting like a boss up a hill, 10 mins later there was a constant racket coming from engine bay idle or driving

My thinking is the tensioner has broken off completely now, and was probs on its way out before...

Don't bother suggesting loose heat shields or cat converters. i have neither. Its a ####in chat noise from the motor. Which is a pain cause it's only 45,000km old and doesn't make sense for anything to be seriously wrong as its otherwise been running great. It does get revved to redline at least a few times a day, but these motors and this in particular can handle heaps.

On my way home after the loud rattling started, it drove pretty well normally, did seem a tiny bit sluggish with throttle response (which kinda makes sense if the timing chain is loose as ****) Turbo still spooled exactly same and at same rpm.

If it is the TC im leaning towards ####ing the single with tensioner off and running a roller master double row. What are your opinions on these? I've heard good things, except that they ofter stuff up with the 3 different crank diameters....

I also must add that I cannot pin-point it with my mechanics stethoscope (although there is alot of **** in the way in my engine bay) And car has been very well maintained and only use the best oil (Was using GTX 20W50, now using Penrite Synthetic 15W60)

You can kind of hear it in the video, however sounds much worse in person. Its a really metallic, rattling, marbles in a can kinda noise. 99.9% sure it's not the bottom end or anything

Last edited:

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
I dont know, hard to tell with the sucking noise from the in take.

Whip out the Cam angle sensor and have a look in the hole, you can see the cam sprocket though it.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
lol yup she is rooted mate. You can tell because you shouldn't be able to twist it like that. The tentioner looks like it need the sack too.

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR V6 Turbo Ute, 99 STI EJ207 GT FORESTER
Well thats good to hear as ive got a double row chain on its way. So you reckon thatd be enough to clack and rattle around noisy as hell?

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
If its auto,maybe a broken flexplate???

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
Mines sounds very similar.
Although now its turned into a massive rattle / grinding noise. I'm pretty sure its either a really sloppy chain or a busted lifter.

Mine does the exact same thing with the throttle response too.
Not too sure if you have the same issue... but with mine, when you give it a squirt; power will just randomly fall past 3000rpm. The engine then crawls to redline (unless you back off the throttle and push it again).

Will be watching this thread to see if the chain solves your problem :D