Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Postie Bike & Engine

bardy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
Hey I'm hoping someone can help me out here

I have a 2005 Postie bike but the piston jammed or something a while ago, and basically the mechanic tried to fix it but buggered the engine trying to re seat the valves. so its dead.

I'm intending to ride the postie on the road.
I have a no brand 110cc engine which i had in another paddock bomb bike which goes really well. I can fit this engine into the bike and Im wondering would i be able to get a road worthy for that engine? Are there any regulations to stop someone putting any engine into their bike or car?

Cheers Tom

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
i *STRONGLY* don't suggest that you just stamp the engine number off the postie motor onto your generic one. Sure, you'd be able to register it, but i for one couldn't sleep at night after doing such a thing :whistling

Ever heard of the yamaha YZ250WR? a friend of mine has one. It blew up so he just got a 2007 YZ250, swapped the compliance plates onto it, did a bit of restamping/rewiring and BAM he's still on the road to this day - Highly illegal, but doable.

bardy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
i *STRONGLY* don't suggest that you just stamp the engine number off the postie motor onto your generic one. Sure, you'd be able to register it, but i for one couldn't sleep at night after doing such a thing :whistling

Ever heard of the yamaha YZ250WR? a friend of mine has one. It blew up so he just got a 2007 YZ250, swapped the compliance plates onto it, did a bit of restamping/rewiring and BAM he's still on the road to this day - Highly illegal, but doable.

restamping hey...
too much effort. :D
but do you know about the generic engine i have being road registrable?

jujibelly

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Have no idea about the generic one but if it's technically the same engine specifications, same CC etc you should be allowed but don't quote me on that.

Call you local traffic authority and ask them.

Re-stamping sounds like a bad idea, technically being a different brand/engine this would more than likely void your insurance if time come on claim.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
does your generic engine have a number on it?
I think that it might be alright provided that this generic one is the same age (or newer) as your postie motor you should be fine - there's a thread on here somewhere about a guy not being able to put in a VX v8 in his VY due to it being older.

bardy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
does your generic engine have a number on it?
I think that it might be alright provided that this generic one is the same age (or newer) as your postie motor you should be fine - there's a thread on here somewhere about a guy not being able to put in a VX v8 in his VY due to it being older.

yeah it does have an engine number. i reckon it should be right to swap, and even more so if i can find a dogdy bike mechanic to Roadworthy it :w00t: