Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Potential overheating problem

Black-ice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
If you hold mode and set together and then start your car, it goes into a diagnostic mode (or thats what I think it is). Then you cycle through the choices by pressing the mode button. Its really good, gives you all sorts of real time info including the coolant temp. Came in very handy....

f_vos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Ok will try on the way home
Thanks
Fred

f_vos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
For your info around the streets its between 91-96 and sitting in the drive when I got home while checking letterbox and opening rolla door was 101c.
Since replacing rad and thermosat hoses etc never had the fan come on so I will see what happens as summer comes.
Not sure what temp the fan should start at and have replaced both relays for the fans.
Regards
Fred
V6 VY 2004 Series 2.

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Thanks HSV 671. Done your trick last night on the way home in peak hour. On warming up the temp reached about 108deg the thermo must have opened and dropped to 93deg, then hovered around this for the rest of the trip. I did notice this morning (cold morning coolant temp 15deg) when warming up it reached 115deg (just over half on temp gauge) before the thermostat opened, then droped to around 95deg. Could this be a sticky thermostat. I dont want to change if I dont need to though! Usually it reaches 1/3 then sits there. I get nervous when it gets over half.

Your Thermostat should be opening at some where around 88~91*C. Id say its starting to stick to reach 115*C, Or your Computer has the wrong settings for engine fan speed, or it could be a failing temp sensor. Then the engine will continue to create heat as long as the engine is in revolution. Hence the increase in temp idling. The fans will come on at around 94*C up to 108*C. When it reaches the 108*C Mark the ECU will engage fans to high Speed. If your temp reaches 127*C the ECU will shutdown fuel supply totally! This safeguards Boiling at 132*C with 50/50 MIX. If you are really concerned about this.... Which im concerned with mine, you can either get a cooler running thermostat (opens @ around 81*C) or go to Holden and get them to Tune the ECU temp settings of what you want. ( You can set what temp the fans will come on/off at ). According to Holden Tech.. "A hotter engine is a better engine. More performance at proposed operating Temp". Obviously the sesnor is probably the cheapest. Thermostat will be next.

ONURVY

Onur
Reaction score
Members Ride
HOLDEN VY COMMODORE
it really does sound like your thermostat is sticking and when it does open it drops back down pull it out put it in boiling water and see if it opens %100

ONURVY

Onur
Reaction score
Members Ride
HOLDEN VY COMMODORE
it really does sound like your thermostat is sticking and when it does open it drops back down pull it out and check it in boiling water will not take long to do