Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Potential VY buy ...

joe_rolls_commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Okay ...

So, was talkin' to a mechanic mate of mine today while he was workin' on my current VR ****-box, and, I asked him if he knew of any commo's for sale these days. He replied, tellin' me that he know's a bloke that's got a VY with a dead engine that the guys tryin' to get rid of, for prolly round $1500-$2000. So, I said "yeah, I'm deff' interested". Haven't had a look at it yet, so I'll barter if necessary & cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

So, the engine's rooted, & needs to be replace, wow much do you guys reckon'd be a fair price? Also, considering the fact that I'm on my P's (red) and the replacement would have to be a 6 (the current one's an 8). So, I'd be swapping from 8 to 6.

Pretty much just want as much info in terms of what I can expect, as far as price & labour involved etc, before I talk to my mate and/or this other bloke & decide, one way or the other...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Too much work swapping a 8 to 6 to even bother imo. You'll need a transmission (or at least the bellhousing), ECU/loom, most of the stuff in the engine bay (cooling system, brakes), reprogram the dash cluster for a v6, even the front springs are different because of the difference in engine weight. And you'd have to do all the paperwork to make the swap legal, and it would kill the resale - people would think wtf a v6 ss...

Imo if you are going to buy it, put another 8 in it, sell it, and then buy a VY V6 :p

CORNYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ
I agree with the above comment, it's to much work to change everything, your better have dropping a eight back in it an selling it you might even make a few k on it, then buy a vy6 with that

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
How long have you got to go on your ps? Could do the work yourself take your time and fix up anything else that needs done while your at it. Then when you get your full have a nice v8 straight away.

Edit. Why did the engine die? If it was through abuse is the gearbox, diff etc still in good nick or will they follow suite in the near future

Last edited: