Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Powder Coating SSV wheels

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Hi all. Has anyone powder coated their Holden wheels on the VF? Is powder coating long lasting and durable on the wheels? I'm thinking of going a darker shade of grey on my wheels like the VF Clubsport style. I originally drove the 2013 HSV (and decided not to buy *lucky) and looking back I quite liked the look of the wheel colour on the red. Also did not buy a SSVR due to not liking the black on wheel or the wheel itself. Any good places to get this work done around South East Queensland? And what would a good price be for a professional job for all 4 wheels? Cheers. Or if anyone has some original new 2013 Clubsport wheels for sale? Doing some research, some people say powder coating might not be good for alloys due to the heat transfers/ some say 2 pak is better, someone suggested wrapping? Maybe I could just get some wrap off ebay and place it on myself and keep the original wheel just in-case? Could work...

2013_06_07_hsv_clubsport_r8_sv_11.jpg

or vinyl wrap DIY?

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
As an alternative to paint & powder coat have you considered Hydrographic Dipping

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
No I did not. Is that pricey? Whats the pros of doing so?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Don't know what the cost would be.
To me the Pros would definitely be the 100's of different designs available.
Also for those that are concerned with heat being applied to the rims, there is no heat involved as per powder coating.
From watching the process on youtube & different websites, they would be done a hell of a lot faster than painting too.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
This heat thing is new to me, never heard of that in 30+ years of noticing such things.
Be aware that if you powder-coat you do need to get a clear (probably 2-pak is best) over the top, otherwise brake dust soaks into the powder-coat. AFAIK most decent (non-polished-finish) factory wheels are powder-coated then clear-coated.

Wrapping/dipping is something I've not looked into. Not being super smooth, I can't see how it wouldn't be a nightmare for cleaning?

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
What about Plasti Dip? Apparently it can be removed? That's the type of colour i'd like.

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
The whole "heating rims" thing is probably just an old wives tale. I have never heard of any wheel failures or any other issues due to heat.
Don't know about the finish on anything that has been wrapped, but the guy who coated my extractors also does hydro dipping.
The finished items I saw that had been dipped have a very smooth finish to them. They are also clear coated and then buffed to finish them off.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Ok fair enough, interesting. I'm going to do some more research on this Plasti-Dip process and removal... as I also want to keep the car factory or have the factory wheels still. Plasti Dip might be a solution and a nice DIY task...

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Plasti-dip would be the cheapest option and it can be removed, you should be able to buy the stuff at most parts stores too.
Plast-dip gives you the option to change colours whenever you like as it just peels off

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Plasti-dip would be the cheapest option and it can be removed, you should be able to buy the stuff at most parts stores too.
Plast-dip gives you the option to change colours whenever you like as it just peels off

Yeah just reading into it. Looks the goods... wonder how durable it is on wheels?