Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Disparity

PA38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SV6 Black Edition Sportswagon
I stand to be corrected, but I read somewhere that the VF LFX V6 was limited by Holden to 210kw so P-Plate drivers can legally drive the car in certain states in Australia, I think it is to do with a power to weight formula used to calculate which vehicles P-Plate drivers are allowed to drive.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Probably American Dyno Kilowatts, they're about halfway between a horsepower & a kilowatt.

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine#LFX

*Note: Cadillac CTS having 30kw more than VF v6, stock.

http://www.kpe-products.com/shop/ca...3-cadillac-cts-6-2l-v8-lsa-supercharger-tune/

So there are NA LFX v6's with 260kw out there.
Cadillac CTS and VF weigh about the same

How common are VF's v6 with 260kw?
Sorry, looking at that the LFX is only 239 kW in the Caddy. The newer LGX is more powerful at 250 kW (but if you look at the torque curve, you have to rev the guts out of it)

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
I stand to be corrected, but I read somewhere that the VF LFX V6 was limited by Holden to 210kw so P-Plate drivers can legally drive the car in certain states in Australia, I think it is to do with a power to weight formula used to calculate which vehicles P-Plate drivers are allowed to drive.
There's a discussion about power difference between Aussie and American LFX here:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f67/power-torque-figures-my-2012-3-6-lfx-commodore-105995/

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Would you be able to get this power from a tune and nothing else?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Would you be able to get this power from a tune and nothing else?
Actual, real increase - yes, because the difference doesn't appear to be as big as the "quoted" figures due to different measurement methods.
I don't know if you'd pick up a real 20kW with just a tune; although you might if you tuned it aggressively for E85.

PA38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SV6 Black Edition Sportswagon
Looked up QLD regs for provisional drivers, they would not be able to drive a SV6 VF11 if it had 230kw's and I assume other states would use a similar formula. VF11 Ute weight 1656 kgs (wikipedia) formula from website 210kw divided by weight 1656 kgs times 1000 = 128.81 kw/t just under the limit of 130 kilowatts per tonne. 230kw divided by weight 1656 kgs times 1000 = 138.88 kw/t which is over the limit. Interesting the maximum power output a vehicle made before 2010 a provisional driver can drive is 210kw did holden just get lazy and worked to this max figure?. So any mods to an LFX would see a P-Plate driver breaking the law, not that I think it could ever be proven or the police would even bother !!

Link if anyone interested:

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/driver-licensing/applying/provisional/restrictions

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
So any mods to an LFX would see a P-Plate driver breaking the law, not that I think it could ever be proven or the police would even bother !!
Yeah well that's what I was thinking too when I asked about if you could get that increase solely just from a tune, whether or not they'd let you at the place if they know you're a P Plater...

Would the coppers really know you're running 230 instead of 210 haha.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Are there regulations which require manufacturers to publish accurate maximum numbers?
Is it possible the lawmakers rely on marleting departments not to under-quote a maximum number for sales purposes?
And if so ... would putting one of those “230kW” engines on the same engine-dyno as a “210kW” engine yield pretty much identical results?