Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] Power "Lag", "Sluggish", "Doesn't feel right"

TA 91 WA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII 5.7 LS1
Hi everyone.

(Admins, feel free to move to the VT sub-forum if I have posted in the wrong section, Thanks)

I'm new to the whole V8 scene, as I've owned Ecotec's for most of my driving time. Finally got myself an LS1 and it's got some issues, and this one is the worst of them all.

I will try and describe this problem to the best of my ability. I have searched the forums and google for possible answers which might coincide with mine, to no avail.

Simply enough, there feels like a 1-2 second lag for the power to go from the engine, to the rear wheels. Say for example, you are doing 20kph, then you put your foot down (Not to the floor), the engine revs up (of course), then maybe a second later, the power finally reaches the wheels.

Basically it's like your lagging in a computer game, that's the best comparison I can make to this problem.

My engine light has been coming on every-so-often, but without $250 for a scan tool (Which is coming in a fortnight), my options are limited at the moment. (On a side note, the engine light has NOT been coming up when the lag is happening).

I've asked my father what it might be, he says it might be the torque converter, I asked a guy I work with who has mechanical experience, he believes its the auto transmission box. As he explained, the engine itself is revving up fine, but it's getting the power to the rear wheels is where it is struggling. I admit that a reconditioned transmission is on the cards, due to the gears slipping every so often, but could this be causing the lag in power?

So my question is essentially, what could be causing this lag in power? Is my father and workmate right in saying it could be the Transmission/Torque converter, or should I maybe look at other factors such as the Differential or simply enough, plugs or leads?

I do apologise if I have rambled on, I've tried to make the post as informative as possible and am hoping to get a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks in advance, Tom.

Model: Holden Commodore Executive. 5.7 LS1 Ex-Pursuit.
Trans: 4-Speed Auto

Last edited:

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
Definitely sounds like the transmission. If the gears are slipping then it's time to get it fixed, which should get rid of the 'lag' ;)

TA 91 WA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII 5.7 LS1
Definitely sounds like the transmission. If the gears are slipping then it's time to get it fixed, which should get rid of the 'lag' ;)

Hi Thomas1 and thank you for your reply.

Definitely seems more like the transmission the more I think about it. I might spend the money and get the box serviced. Couldn't care if it's dead money or not.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
sounds like the transmission, this is what mine was doing and it was 1st-2nd shift in mine, apparently a usual problem for first and second gear to go in the autos and manual boxes, try an oil change but id say that won't fix it, mine had 1st and 2nd rebuilt then the shift solenoid went about 10 months later (was rebuilt under a used car warranty) so id say get a full rebuild and get the shift solenoids done at the same time so you know everything's ok.

TA 91 WA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII 5.7 LS1
sounds like the transmission, this is what mine was doing and it was 1st-2nd shift in mine, apparently a usual problem for first and second gear to go in the autos and manual boxes, try an oil change but id say that won't fix it, mine had 1st and 2nd rebuilt then the shift solenoid went about 10 months later (was rebuilt under a used car warranty) so id say get a full rebuild and get the shift solenoids done at the same time so you know everything's ok.

Hi cpbait and thank you for your reply.

Based on what you've said and the previous post by Thomas1, it certainly is looking like the transmission.

More money.. Yay.

Veriton

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L VZ
I have the same problem, but mainly on take over. However it is rare that it happens. In 10 months I've owned the car it's happened about 3 times. The trans is the issue, I know that it is, and it also has an issue sometimes with going into overdrive propperly, or it is and the clutches are slipping. Eitherway my point is that it's cheaper to buy a whole new trans from Holden than it is to completely overhaul the gearbox (or so I'm told). Might be worth a check :).

VYBR8R

VYBR8NV8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute 5.7/A4
might be the maf sensor, they make them behave real bad when they go

TA 91 WA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII 5.7 LS1
Thanks for everyone's replies.

I'll head up to Perth and get the transmission serviced, maybe give the box a bit more life.

As for the MAF, you might be onto something. I did accidentally put it on the wrong way around when I changed filters, and it's been running average since.

Tom.