Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power steering creeking (when warm)

gluten3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY L67
I get a creaking sound when turning corners. The strut top bearings were changed a few years ago, so I doubt that is it. One other thing, it doesn't happen when cold, only after the temperature guage reached halfway. Just trying random ideas, I put an extra 100 kPa in the front tyres to reduce steering effort, and the creaking is not so bad. The reservoir has plenty of fluid and it is still nice red colour.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
ball joints, sway bar link rubbers

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Perhaps the noise is the power steering pump being loaded up. The brand new replacement pump I put on our VS made an awful racket from day one. The pump worked fine, it just made an awful grinding noise under load.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Going to watch this thread, mine is a bit creaky still, after new strut top bushes, bearings and coils.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
In the past people have narrowed this type of thing down to the grommet where the steering column goes through the firewall. They just grease it up a bit and it goes away.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
How long since the steering fluid was replaced? And at the same time, the wire mesh in the reservoir cleaned out? New steering fluid can make a big difference.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Are you sure it's power steering related.....You mentioned the noise starts when the temperature gauge reaches half.....Is it something engine related? Generally suspension stuff happens straight off the bat, not when a gauge has a particular reading

Oh and re-greasing bushes never hurts.....Doesn't matter if they are in good nick....They still need grease for the lubrication.....No lubrication, noise appear and failures occur quicker

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Are you sure it's power steering related.....You mentioned the noise starts when the temperature gauge reaches half.....Is it something engine related? Generally suspension stuff happens straight off the bat, not when a gauge has a particular reading

Oh and re-greasing bushes never hurts.....Doesn't matter if they are in good nick....They still need grease for the lubrication.....No lubrication, noise appear and failures occur quicker

They only need greasing if they're urethane rubber bushes don't squeak new.

And it can be suspension as sometimes when parts are cold they won't make noise get an exhaust heating them up and they can get hot and make noise.