Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power steering fluid change

Dazza79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ecotec - V6 manual
Hi guys

So I've got a VS and thought I'd change the power steering fluid. Gregory's manual says: approx 700 ml capacity, so a 1 litre bottle should get the job done yes?..
I only ask because when I was searching for info I saw a post in the VZ section saying a flush could take 3 or so litres?

Also, when flushing, does the car have to be started and perhaps stopped a few times while someone keeps topping the fluid, and does the steering wheel need to get turned?

Cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Old fluid will mix with the new stuff so it will take a fair bit more to do a fluid change.

Yes, turning the steering lock to lock will assist in getting all the old fluid out.

Dazza79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ecotec - V6 manual
Does the mix happen mainly in the rack (I don't know what they look like on inside)? I couldn't imagine the fluids would mix too much in the hoses, if the job was done quickly.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes, there is a valve in the rack that controls where the fluid goes.

You would also need to remove the return hose from the reservoir so you don't have old fluid mixing in with the new stuff.