Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Fluid Leak

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
Hey guys.

Check out the photos and I'll try to describe what is happening. The photos are of the top-right side of the steering rack on my VR, where the steering shaft connects to the rack.

As you can see, the area is covered in PS fluid and appears to be leaking from under that red rubber (seal?). I'm not sure if it is meant to be a seal because it is just loosely sitting there.

Any idea how to fix this leak?

Attachments

• DSC00075.jpg
    DSC00075.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 3,792
  • DSC00076.jpg
    DSC00076.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 5,372

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
If your fluid is not rushing out, like seeing it all over the driveway, and just looses a little over 6 months can continue to drive it like that, or as soop said new steering rack. My VR level drops every 6 months, just a little top up and still good :)

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
They pretty much all leak. Keep driving it until it starts urinating out or the thing dies, then swap it with a reco rack.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd try some power steering stop leak first - costs less than $14 and does work. I've used it in many cars...may take a fortnight or so to slow things down but can save you a lot of $$$$. I prefer to use Nulon brand which works good for me. Alternative is a reco rack at about $300 plus the hassle of fitting it.

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
Thanks for everyone's responses.

Forgot to mention I put some stop leak in it about a week ago. It's not gushing out, I just have to top up every so often. The only reason I wanted to fix it was because it failed a Warrant of Fitness (NZ) on it. I think I'll just clean it up a bit and take it somewhere else (it's not as if it's unsafe). If anyone in the Auckland region knows where to get a dodgy WOF a PM would be appreciated. ;-)