Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power steering fluid leaking after drive belt snap

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
Hey folks.

I went a tinsy bit fast over a speed hump yesterday and my drive belt snapped. I had no alternator, power steering, a/c, etc besides my drive shaft.

So I drive home slowly and today I get a new belt and its fine works great turns all the pulleys.... but.... Nothing works!

Power steering is still leaking profusely (I just did the 4 nuts up on the thing to see if that would stop it)

My temp gauge does not work

A/C does not work

Power steering does not work

And who knows, maybe my alternator isn't working either.

Do I have to do like a ECU reset or something?

Cheers folks.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It sounds like the belt is not moving or turning anything..It has to be something up with the belt.Otherwise you would have to be the unluckiest person in the world to have all them different systems fail all at once.I cant even picture how the belt could come off because of a speed hump.You would think other stuff would hit first and not the harmonic balancer.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Belt routed correctly?
All accessories rotating in the correct direction?
Slow down over speed bumps?

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
Well it was a largeish speed hump and I didn't see it as I was coming up to it.

The belt appears to be moving every pulley when I look under the hood.

The power steering leak happened directly after the belt broke. Car was seriously overheated and coolant was overflowing through the resevoir tank.

In my car now the temperature gauge is dead, and it wasn't before.

argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
I'll check if the belt is on properly... 99% sure it is as I have a haynes manual.

edit: To clarify I don't have to reset any relays or anything????

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I wouldnt imagine so ,unless power from the alternator when it stopped upset the ECU in some way when the belt came off it.If the belt is fitted properly and all looks ok,just remove the negative battery terminal for a minute or two,and try it to see if it does indeed fix it.

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
Temperature gauge - check the sendor on the front of the thermostat housing... (a single wired plug) ... it sits VERY close to the belt, and could have been pulled off/snapped when the belt went... this is the wire that sends a signal to the dash cluster. (FYI - the other plug on the side of the thermostat housing goes to the ecu to tell the computer what temp the engine is)

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
I took out the power steering pump and replaced the tiny o ring that may have been causing the leak, then it started raining so I had to stop before I got the pump back on.. As for the temp gauge i'll have to check that out when the sun comes back out but thanks for that tip

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
Temperature gauge - check the sendor on the front of the thermostat housing... (a single wired plug) ... it sits VERY close to the belt, and could have been pulled off/snapped when the belt went... this is the wire that sends a signal to the dash cluster. (FYI - the other plug on the side of the thermostat housing goes to the ecu to tell the computer what temp the engine is)

Nice! Got my temp gauge working again. Thanks for that

I pulled apart the power steering pump as I said and took it for a drive but the steering was stiff as. I think the belt really fxcked with something down there. Do you think if I took a power steering pump out of a different VS it would be rectified? I am going to try to replace that mini o-ring before I do that though. The nut close to that O-ring was knackered, must've gotten hit by the belt.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Check that the power steering pump leak isn't coming down from the PS reservoir and/or the hoses - these would be in the direct firing line of a broken belt - the oil runs under the hoses if they leaK and make it seem the pump is leaking.