Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering leaking.. ideas?

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
agree with Marks-VY and VTSick.
its most likely just needs a new seal kit and at $15 and a bit of your time it probably fix the problem without paying hundreds for recon or exchange of pump....they never leak internally just at the seal at the back

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Holden should do something about power steering pumps. I have changed mine 2 times in the 8yrs I have owned the car, and many poeple I know have changed it more then once. My dads 1992 Camry has done over 300,000km (engine, trans all original) and his pump is working nice and quietly, after 16yrs and 300k+ on the clock, never even changed the oil.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Just if anyones interested a mate rebuilds pumps & racks for cash-

One of the problems is heat, one is foaming, which also causes heat. Poor design doesnt seem to help, either

There are better fluids than dex III for the power steering, which deal with heat better, retain viscosity and do not foam.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
bradcad said:
Just if anyones interested a mate rebuilds pumps & racks for cash-

One of the problems is heat, one is foaming, which also causes heat. Poor design doesnt seem to help, either

There are better fluids than dex III for the power steering, which deal with heat better, retain viscosity and do not foam.

I am interested in a better oil then DexIII, can you give brands and where we can get them?:thumbsup:

HaMmErD

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Cruze CDX
Yeah I have a Power steering leak aswell .. well so my mechanic says but i swear its my rear main.... god i hope its not ...:bang: but then again my dipstick is just under max so ahh well

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
holden007 said:
I am interested in a better oil then DexIII, can you give brands and where we can get them?:thumbsup:

I already posted this in the other 'auto tranny' thread, but-

PM Lubricants

[email protected]

Contact them directly and they post/ courier directly to you. I've been using them for a while now, and haven't had one complaint yet.

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
My power steering makes a groaning sound after the car's warmed up... I'm not sure if the pump is on the way out, or if it just needs a fluid change. There's no leak - the fluid level is perfect, and I had a look in the reservior and it looks clean.

Am I going to be looking for a new pump soon?

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
gogoboygareth said:
My power steering makes a groaning sound after the car's warmed up... I'm not sure if the pump is on the way out, or if it just needs a fluid change. There's no leak - the fluid level is perfect, and I had a look in the reservior and it looks clean.

doubt it- common complaint.

would be worth giving it a flush when you get around to it.

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
Cool thanks - I'll definitely get it changed next service (I'm also getting the brake fluid changed too).

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
gogoboygareth said:

You may have air in the system which causes groaning. It may need bleeding. It's easy enough to do yourself.