Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Noise

vn_calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Being a bit lazy, I did not check my power steering fluid for several months.
Until I was driving home from work one day and I heard this groan/moan noise which was definately coming from the steering.

Popped the bonnet and realised the power steering fluid was empty.

I filled the fluid to the max level, but the steering still makes the noise, just now its only about half as loud.

Since then the fluid leaks a little bit(obviously always has), like 1mm or so a week on the dip stick, which is nothing too major.

I noticed that on turning left the noise gets a lot louder, but on a hard turn right, for example around a round-a-bout, it almost dissapears.

Any help before I shell out money and take it to a mechanic?

F

fallen

if the fluid is fine the pump sounds rooted.... the noise is from the pump yeah?
i had this sound for many months as i had a leak i couldnt seem to fix, and despite runnin on empty quite a few times my pump is still fine...

StealthX

Reaction score
Website
www.stealth.nismo.org
Members Ride
HSV VX Clubsport.
Dude... NOT GOOD! If its making a Whirring Noise! GET IT FIXED NOW!, its your power steering arm & pinion the seals after years lossen and causes your fluid to leak.

Power Steering fluid burns on intence heat.. as i found out first hand one night. Driving home "oh yeah power steering is leaking again".. it dropped onto the Manifold and caught alite :p ive seen this happen 4 times (happened to my mate in Melbourne on the same night it happened to mine).

Get it into a servo and get it fixed... get in early you may be able to save your power steering rack and pinion.. unfortunetly mine was #@%@ed and i had to splurge for a $560 for a new Rack & Pinion :p

Take advice and dont put it off any longer :p

richie83

Reaction score
Mine does the old moan and groan too. The pump was overhauled (by previous owner) about a month before I bought it, and the sound started about another 12 months after I had bought it. In the coming weeks, it'll be a new pump, which hopefully isn't too costly. For a TEMPORARY fix, just keep the fluid well topped up.

ViperVp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
mine groans on about 80%- full turn... server on next thruday should get it all looked at and fixed.

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
mine groans on full lock, but i think mine is on the way out.....

Bec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
All cars I've driven have groaned on full lock...you should always back off a few inches to avoid damaging the system. If it still groans then I guess it's on the way out. :confused:
Bec :wave:

ViperVp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
if i bac it off from full lock the it quiten;s down then can't here it

Blond solution: Take you left hand onto the Radio Volume knob....