Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power steering pump bearing noise

bendrinkwater1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Hey guys,

At idle i have a bearing type dull whine coming from my engine, i have listened to all the pulleys and idlers with a stethoscope and all sound normal. The noise pulses, it does not reamain a constant noise.
I pulled off the serpentine belt and checked all pulleys for movement and play, the only problem area i found was the power steering pump pulley, i could move it in and out around 3-5 mm. Is this excessive play? The engine has done 163,000k's, Could that be causing the noise?

Thanks guys

lifeguard_aus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S pack Ute
3-5mm isn't good, have you tried dry lube around the pullys as well?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Take off the drive belt,start the engine and see if the noise is gone.This will confirm the noise is from one of the pulley bearings or water pump.While the belt is off,spin all the pulleys and water pump by hand and see if any of the bearings feel or sound rough.A rough or noisy pulley will most likely be the culprit.The engine can be safely run for a couple of minutes with no drive belt.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
power steering pump doesn't run a normal ball bearing type bearing. it uses a white metal bearing much like the mains and bigend bearings in the motor and the bearing is lubricated by the power steering fluid.

when the vanes in the pump wear it can create noise. strip the pump, turn the vanes over and see what happens.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
there is a howto for power steering pumps. give a few pointers to get around a few problems. may pay to pick-up a pump seal kit as the O-rings will possibly be stuffed and won't seal properly after dis-assembly

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
^^^^
Pump seal kit is dirt cheap from Holden.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
+2 for what immortality says, it will be the vanes. A complete rebuild kit is only about $70.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
A complete rebuild kit is only about $70.

Does this include new vanes, bearing etc?
From memory I paid around $9.00 for a seal/ O ring kit. I thought this was all you could get?