Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power steering rack problems

troy294

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
I have a 1994 vr v6 statesman . I have a question regarding power steering rack .
I recently replaced my power steering rack and I now notice if I'm stationary with car going I can turn to left or right full lock with no dramas .
Yet when I'm driving and go to turn a corner left or right it gets to a certain point and gets a little harder to turn the steering wheel or to turn . Anyone have any ideas what it could be . I think my power steering pump may be leaking now also .
I wouldn't have a clue what it could be .

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Could be the pump - did you use the variotronic rack or the ordinary Commodore rack when you replaced it?....is pump original as I think Statesman with variable type steering has slightly different pump.

nate-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
blown vy v8 ute
Could still have air in tge system . Did you give it a good bleed out . I did mine recently and it took ages to bleee it out

troy294

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
Ill have to give that a go . I thought air would have been out by now

troy294

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
Variable power steering rack . I haven't replaced pump yet but it's leaking also so ill be replacing that

nate-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
blown vy v8 ute
Front up on stands . Start car left to right lock . Lightly touching lock on each side
Leave cap on but loose . Lock to lock about 5-6 times . Rev to 3g slowly 3 times . Turn off for twenty mins do It again and again and again until the bubbles stop coming up in yhe resoviour