Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power steering shutter

btsmash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY BERLINA S1
i have just bought vy s1 berlina and have a problem with p/steer. only when idling you turn the steering wheel there is a shutter thru the steering column, is this common,or a fault. the car is still warranty but runs out soon. has anyone else had this problem and what your outcome

Alloytec

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 VT SS
The power steering shudder is a common problem with VY Series Commodores.

If not already fitted you will need the revised high pressure power steering hose.

Ring your local dealer to find out if your car has had the revised high pressure power steering hose and also the low pressure hose at the same time.

Both warranty items previous owner would of got a letter in the mail about them.

Woogler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Lumina HBD
Hi,

Just read this thread 2 days ago and spoke to my service centre about the same shudder. I was told it was not a recall item, and as such, no letters were sent out. However, they did say that there is a "shudder kit" available and I had it fitted today. All fixed now!

Harts_94VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR II
Sounds like they still have the same crappy power steering as they did on the VR, mine is awful when it's cold. Lucas Power Steering Fix did wonders to it, but it's not great until it warms up a bit.

Just as a matter of interest, how much was it to have the "shudder kit" installed and what did it involve?

Woogler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Lumina HBD
Didn't cost a cent mate, all under warranty. They replaced the top and bottom hoses with the rubber ones. I was unable to get any further detail beyond that. Was just told about the "shudder kit" and handed the keys. I can get details if you would like.

btsmash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY BERLINA S1
thanks for the feed back will contact local dealer in the very near future.thanks again to the members and this site :king:

Harts_94VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR II
Woogler said:
Didn't cost a cent mate, all under warranty. They replaced the top and bottom hoses with the rubber ones. I was unable to get any further detail beyond that. Was just told about the "shudder kit" and handed the keys. I can get details if you would like.

Nah that's fine mate, thanks for the offer though.

I was interested because my VR has steering shudder too, although it only happens now when the engine's cold, and it was vastly improved with the good old Lucas power steering stuff in it.

But if they do a fix kit then I would consider getting one installed. As far as I know, the damned Saginaw power steering in the Commodores from way back (even before mine, 1994) is bloody woeful.

Looks like nothing's changed :D