Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power steering stiff?

mars6484

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V8 Berlina
Hey guyz

Steering rack was leaking so I got it replaced as I know its common in these cars anyway, got new hoses and clamps too while they were at it. as well as obviously new power steering fluid flushed and topped up.

The car doesn't pull to one side anymore but I noticed the steering is still quite stiff? No where near as stiff as having no power steering obviously but it is still a bit stiff~~ Not sure if its just the car or not as I'm used to driving 4 cylinder smallish to medium cars but this car I have difficulty going around a large bend with one arm... Its possible but requires a bit extra strength?

Feels a bit like there is resisitance to me turning as well like someone is pusshing the wheel back a little bit, not by much just a little. All these issues are better once the car has warmed up though.

Is it just me or do you think something else is wrong? any opinions? Thanks!

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
instead of having a stab at white might be wrong, I'de take it back into where you got your work done on it, and let them know, considering they"ve just worked on your car and have checked it pretty thoroughly im sure they will know straight away what the issue would be, sorry i cant be more help

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hey guyz

Steering rack was leaking so I got it replaced as I know its common in these cars anyway, got new hoses and clamps too while they were at it. as well as obviously new power steering fluid flushed and topped up.

The car doesn't pull to one side anymore but I noticed the steering is still quite stiff? No where near as stiff as having no power steering obviously but it is still a bit stiff~~ Not sure if its just the car or not as I'm used to driving 4 cylinder smallish to medium cars but this car I have difficulty going around a large bend with one arm... Its possible but requires a bit extra strength?

Feels a bit like there is resisitance to me turning as well like someone is pusshing the wheel back a little bit, not by much just a little. All these issues are better once the car has warmed up though.

Is it just me or do you think something else is wrong? any opinions? Thanks!

It's probably a combination of experiencing a new rack which should be tighter than your old worn one, plus the possibility that the backlash between the rack and pinion is a bit too tight. This is adjustable but I agree with the above post and recommend you take it back to the installer to have the pinion tension checked.

mars6484

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V8 Berlina
Thanks for your input guyz~~

I usually don't use this forum for questions like this but it is because I have taken it back a couple of times and they said it was alright but I still feel its a bit tight that I was asking the question~~ but I have a feeling it is just me, its not like soooo hard that I have to use both arms or anything but its certianly a bit tougher to turn than the cars I'm used too~~

The only other issue is when they took off my steering wheel and back together they set the wires funny and now when I turn left I can hear the wires rubbing against each other which is annoying!

Anyone got a DIY on uninstaling and installing steering wheel?

H Bomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
Hey guys
I posted a thread on this a little while ago, I've got a VYII Calais with exactly the same feel, it's not real bad but its just not quite right either, I thought I was going mad and also a little pedantic as when I drove the car after driving my other (Mazda) I was thinking there is something not right with this steering. My mechanic did the hoses bit and the fluid replacement bit etc. all with marginal effect. He then suggested I needed a reco (or new) rack which was common. We decided to just put up with it for a bit longer........then due to the front end needing to be basically ripped out to do it we were due for new tyres also so I went and got them done and got a premium balance and alignment etc and I'm not sure if I am imagining it but it has definately improved, so at present it feels better, significantly so after the alignment and new tyres. (the others were severly scrubbed out).
I assume given you have had the whole rack done then they would have done a premium alignment afterwards?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Hi I've got a VY Series 2 V6 and the steering has no signs of any leaks etc. The only thing wrong with it is a bit of shudder some of the time while parking. What I have noticed is the steering on my VY is a lot heavier than my cousins VX and my old VN. I did a bit of reading and apparently this is by design as the VY front suspension is based on the Monaro's has different geometry to the VX. If the reco rack is adjusted right then it should be ok, there is a mesh adjustment that is supposed to be set using a torque wrench and this may not have been done properly as I had Pedders adjust the one in my old VN and they did it so tight it would not self centre and I had to fix it myself.
You should also check other things like the swat bar links if the top rubbers are done up too tight this makes the steering heavier.
Replacing the rack you'd need at least a track adjustment.