Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering

ducatis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
Hey i think i need a new power steering pump...cos it whines when im getting close to the end of turning my wheel. yeh how much are these anyways? and how hard are they to fit?

cheers

Gs VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
97' VS S-Pack Series 2
before u get a new pump...

have u checked the power steering fluid...

if you have then try this...

There is a rubber grommit up near the brake master cylinder... Get someone to turn the wheel side to side while u look under the bonnet, you will see the shaft (looks like a ROD) moving side to side, follow it up, until it dissapears, Thats where ur grommit is... Lube up that area, with some grease, or any type of lube. (its hard to get in there so the spray on lube's are good, or just use a screwdriver)

Now dont be scared to smuther the lube all round the grommit.. Once its smuthered turn the wheel side to side to get all the lube around the area...

Then see how u go...

Nothing to worrie bout, alot of commo's have that problem...

Trust me if you go to a mechanic they will say its the pump when it probably somethin as easy as lubing a grommit...

let us know how its goin...

M

mattspew

I have the same problem...

So what if it's not the grommit?? How hard is it to replace the pump??

I was told it's simple; bolt off, bolt on, top up fluid, self bleeding...???
Is it really that simple??

Cheers Matt

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Exec 3.8L V6
hey i have been told if you can put up wit the niose just do it as its a common problem and it only makes noise doesnt effect the acctuall power steer itself,

so i have been told and mine has been making noise for about a year now and still going,
hope that helps.

cheers
Alen

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
mines been making that noise 4 about 6 months now, still steers normally

P

philo

93 vr v6
Had same groaning noise in steering. i was also told it was noise from grommet. i replaced steering rack on 11/09 and noise now gone-steering rack was stuffed. I also replaced struts and rubbers with fulcrum gear-Now beaut to drive-Dont forget to flush old rack & pump if you replace rack. Vr has done 183000 km

Gs VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
97' VS S-Pack Series 2
yeh its not too hard to do, but it dosent need to be done (UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT IS REALLY THE PROB)...

its either the grommit, rack, or power steering fluid...

but as everyone is sayin about 80% of commo's do it... and it dosen't affect your car 1 bit... Its just annoyin.

if its not your grommit, Buy some OIL REPAIRER and put it into your power steering fluid bottle, take your car for a drive n see how it goes.

it could also b ur rack. If its got a leak in there, then air will be goin through, which makes that annoyin sound...

let us know, how u go...