Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power to the ground : V6 Reality

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
So many guys looking for more POWER !

Here we go , want real power - cough up $5000 or more OK ...

CAI - new exhausts - Airfilters :b: ...

The V6 produces plenty of giddy-up , whats needed is to put what you have to the ground ....

Holden - GMH - what ever ! , have put too tall a gearing in these cars , why , because they need to meet certain BS standards for fuel etc ...

I still fondly remember doing 83kmh in my VL [ Auto ] in first gear ... Tall gearing , way tall .....

Im not sure my VS would do that ,

In anyway , there are two simple options , and both can possibly be had for $1000 or less ... First option , would be a high stall torque converter ...

Get one to match your power curve , if your HP starts to kick in at 2500RPM you might want to match that with a 2500 - 3000 RPM Hi-stall , So rather than loading up your engine before it reaches usable power , you can tap into it at any point with a Hi-stall ...

2nd Option , new diff ratio , tall gears load up the engine ...

, GMH put in tall gears to help with fuel ecconomy , killing pick up and go .. Replace the tall gears with something more Giddy-up friendly , and buy yourself a G-suit ....:whistling

For around a Grand [ ?? ] You could do both , Hi - stall + diff ratio change ..
I think you will really notice the Mumbo far more with these simple mods , if getting to 60KMH [ What ever ] is your priority , and getting there first is life or death for you ! you cant spend money better than one or both of these mods , if your after pick up .. or as I call it Giddy-up !

:rofl:

As Mosses said : You can lead them to water !

dunno vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive s1
what diff ratio would be appropriate for a vx to give it a bit of go off the mark thanks
:)

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Ok

First - Find some one that does it , Im not sure whats available ..

I went to one place trying to change my diff ratio on the VL , and they wanted to change out the rear axle for one from a VK :hit:

Hmmmm Seems there were not that many shops im my area that could even do it .... So I left it alone ....

Your choices ,, will depend on the driving you do , fuel ecconomy - VS- Giddy-up ... again , talk to the experts ..

ill tell you about my friends LJ Torana , 5Ltr Engine , worked , 2 speed Auto , 9inch rear [ Choped Ford diff ] , Bullet proof alround .. Went like a rocket , 12sec Car ... He lived in Frankston ....

One tank of fuel from Frankston to the City [ Cruisin Sat Night ]
From mem 60Ltr Tank ... One night of Cruisin 3 to 4 re-fills ..

I wont tell you what to get , cos thats up to you ,
From mem , Holden offered a Tow Pack , which gave you a lower Diff ratio ..
Talk to holden , and ask for the tow pack diff gears ...

If they no longer offer the option , youl need to see the experts ...

Sorry , I just dont want to tell you what to get , cos If I say something , @ it may not be available or you might install it and hate it ....

But any ratio not as tall as you have now , will improve pick up , it all depends on how much fuel ecconomy you are prepared to give up , so talk to the experts , they should steer you in the right direction ..

Update :

OK did a refresher ---- My car runs 3.08.1 or 308 Diff ratio , some recomend not to go past 3.55 or youl be chewing too much fuel - whats too much - is up to you - now PRO street run around 4.11 , but thats pure dragin ... [ Not really a daily driver , unless they have a serious overdrive ] ... So something between 3.08.1 and ?? 3.55 for a daily driver ... But if your rich , hey !

OK , later model commodores may have different Diff ratios , due to transmition ratios ... So the question begs , what is your current diff ratio ? So this then becomes your starting point ....

Matt

Last edited:

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
i run 3.89's and my around town economy has got better if anything i dont really do much highway driving but my car is manual and with the 3.89's its a dream to drive

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
MattK said:
ill tell you about my friends LJ Torana , 5Ltr Engine , worked , 2 speed Auto , 9inch rear [ Choped Ford diff ] , Bullet proof alround .. Went like a rocket , 12sec Car ... He lived in Frankston ....
One tank of fuel from Frankston to the City [ Cruisin Sat Night ]
From mem 60Ltr Tank ... One night of Cruisin 3 to 4 re-fills ..
Matt

my mate steve ran of fuel in his torana going from berri to adelaide..... 250 k's with a 90 litre drop tank..... 4.11's with a turbo 350 sittin on bout 3,800 rpm all the way......

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Yeah

Lower diff ratio , easier acceleration = Less fuel , esp if you chose the right ratio .. But youl lose some on the highway ...

If you do 60 or 80 99% of the time , then you may not really notice another 500RPM @ 100KMH .......:unsure:

S

SIR300

HDT_aero said:
i run 3.89's and my around town economy has got better if anything i dont really do much highway driving but my car is manual and with the 3.89's its a dream to drive

hey, just curious how many ks to a tank you got with those gear ratios.

T

Tradewind

All seems like a lot of effort for small gains really and possible detriment to fuel economy. Something to consider is lets say fuel goes to $1.50 /liter soon. Having an inefficient converter and low ratio diff could really cause pocket burn on every k you drive

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Hehehehe

CAI - Exhaust - Rockers = Small gains ....

Which gains do you want and which are the smarter mods for 1/4 mile times ?

Again , I only recomend Diff and Hi-stall for 0 - to go :driving:
For reg driving - Extractors - CAI - Hi ratio Rollers are the way to go for a bit more poke , better fuel ecconomy ...

But if wearing out back tires , and running down the 1/4mile are your wish ...
For the money - :bow:

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
i wouldnt put a new airfilter in a car with a airflow meter (such as k&n) 1.waste of money, dont really notice the improvement 2. its gunna cost you more money when you gotta buy a new airflow meter because all the oil has stuck to the meter and burns it up making it run lean or rich.

1.exhuast would be the first mod because you notice difference in sound and power.
2.new diff. if you got a company car or live around the corner from work who cares bout fuel or tyres? 4.11's all the way haha, but an ideal diff for an improvement on speed and not much difference on fuel would be 3.45's

^^two common modifications on most cars.

Jecs :thumbsup: