Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power train control module

Mr Henry

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 hilux v6 ecotech
Hi there, I am putting a V6 ecotech and auto trans in a hilux, I have got the ecu but my question is this do I need the PTCM to make this stand alone run? Please say no please,as I did not keep it as it has never been mentioned. I have found references to it in the wiring diagram in my VT manual. If the answer is yes can I use one from another vehicle. I am getting the computer rechiped to remove the VATS and want to lock the transmission in power mode
Many thanks
Mr Henry

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
The Powertrain Control Module is the one originally located behind the passenger kick panel, it can also be called the ECU or ECM.

The Body control module or BCM is the one i think your talking about, you can have the PCM reprogrammed to run stand alone, depending on the model commodore the PCM came out of you may loose a few minor inputs that are via the BCM such as A/C clutch control and a factory Oil warning light wire etc but nothing major.
Power shift is switched via the data link to BCM in VTs i do believe but not 100% on that. It also not overly different, mainly TCC timing and upshift/Down shift throttle positions. They behave well enough in normal shift 99% of the time, at WOT they are not different from what i can tell.

Mr Henry

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 hilux v6 ecotech
Phew! Thanks for that info ,I had a horrible thought that I might have sent something important to the wreckers. I have kept the BCM but have been told that I won't need it oncce the VATS is gone,I am about to start the wiring and my VT kept on referring to the power train control module. I have the ECU from behind the passenger side kick board.
Thanks again I can rest easy again
Mr Henry

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
What I don't understand is does the PCM talk to only the engine like is there other electronic parts on the engine or tranny that matches that of the PCM.
I'm slowly rebuilding a VT block and when I took it from the vehicle I also took that silver box so now is that all I need to reinstall in my vehicle and the new engine should fire up.

Last edited:

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
What I don't understand is does the PCM talk to on the engine like is there other electronic parts on the engine or tranny that matches that of the PCM.
I'm slowly rebuilding a VT block and when I took it from the vehicle I also took that silver panel so is that all I need to reinstall in my vehicle and the new engine should fire up.

The PCM is paired to the BCM only, the DFI module is not linked it just works with whatever PCM its connected too, there are no other modules on a V6.
The BCM is paired to a PCM but also has Keys paired to it.

Other electronic modules such as ABS and SRS modules are not paired but sometimes needs to be programmed to suit.