Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power v Economy

stew58

Reaction score
ok, i know most of you guys are out to squeeze every possible hp out of your motor as possible, and i see many ways mentioned of doing this.

but what about the other side of the coin, getting better economy from the motor (V6, VP, auto)

stew58

Reaction score
ta beefcream, one post was a typo duplicate...

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
cold air is generally considered to boost economy, but yeah, there's a fair few threads about stuff you can do. check howto section as well.

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
Lots of threads...
My suggestions, same as pow3rslave, cold air induction, add a K&N panel filter, a decent tune, run it on premium. Easy, fairly cheap... that's all I have done.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
power and economy sorta go hand in hand at this level. headers/exhaust. good CAI and filter. something else to consider is HPC coatings. coating the headers/exhaust to keep the heat in to maintain exhaust velocity to help cylinder scavanging. coat rods/crank to stop oil sticking to reduce windage losess. valves to reduve friction and reduce heat aborbsion etc. coat valvesprings to reduce friction. coat pistons to stop them absorbing heat and antifriction coating etc. coat intake to keep it cooler longer etc. get a good tune also to make the most of the cooler intake charge. run premium fuel so you can run more timing etc

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Coat the car with a car cover and leave it parked......never have to buy fuel again.

stew58

Reaction score
ta, immortality... but all that coating stuff sounds like a real expensive and long job at the mechanics...

but the CAI and K&N looks like a good start

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
ta, immortality... but all that coating stuff sounds like a real expensive and long job at the mechanics...

but the CAI and K&N looks like a good start

it sure is