Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Powerbond harmonic Balancer Help!!

kronich3244

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Manual, VZ SV6 Manual
just got a powerbond harmonic balancer with belt to suit... ive pulled the old one of and it doesent have a key way were as the powerbond one does... is this because it also suits the LS2 motors... part number - PBU1177-SS20 any help would be greatly apprecieated thanks!!!

kronich3244

Reaction score
Members Ride
sorry may have made a mistake thinks its the LS1 motors + alloytec that it fits

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
The alloytec is a tapered fit with a torque to yield bold (1 use only job) and it holds the bottom timing gear cog inplace aswell as for thepowerbond 1 I have no idea sorry.

kronich3244

Reaction score
Members Ride
all good mate did some research and found out the powerbond balancer is not only for the alloytec but for the LS1, LS2 and a few other motors aswell... got it on their with my shortened belt and new idler pullys and can confirm yes it does make a nice difference in the power!!

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Glad to hear it worked out ok.
FYI the LS engines don't normally have keyways either, it is there for engine builders that fit keyways.

CH40TC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Powerbond SFI Race balancer

Hi guys, I have the same kit from Precision Parts (PBK007?) I was also wondering why there is a keyway slot on the PB balancer when the original doesn't have one? Obviously it's an interference fit that doesn't require a keyway but my concern was that engine oil would leak out through the keyway slot? Would this be a possibility?

Cheers, Ben.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
No the seal is behind the balancer, not part of the balancer.

CH40TC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Umm what seal are you talking about i'm talking about the oil leaking out between the crank timing chain gear and the internal diameter of the balancer where it contacts the crank gear and then through the keyway slot, the only seal i'm aware of is part of the timing cover and seals against the machined outer diameter of the balancer hub.

Ben.

CH40TC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Yeah that would be the timing cover oil seal which seals against the outer diameter of the balancer hub that's the easy part, I'm talking about oil leaking through the empty keyway slot that is machined into the inner diameter of the Powerbond balancer as the standard Alloytec crank snout doesn't have a key so once the balancer is installed on the crank snout I'm concerned that the keyway slot will act like an oil gallery and let oil leak out between the balancer and crank snout, my question was once the balancer is torqued down with the bolt will there be a sufficient seal between the mating surfaces of the crank timing gear and the back edge of the balancer hub to stop the oil leaking out through to the balancer bolt and slinging around the engine bay etc? I have now found quite a few threads on google on other makes and models of car where they recommend using Red High Temp RTV Silicone to block the keyway slot but I was curious on whether or not this is an issue with Alloytec motors?

Ben