Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Powerchips do they really work

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
Do they make 'em for V6s? How much does it cost etc? I thought the whole chip thing was a myth...

The chip in the vn ss made a noticable difference. I also got a mail order tune for my old vs wagon. It had cold air, pacies and 2.5inch exhaust and made a small difference really, there wasnt much in it from memory. Another mate also had a vn s pack with the same modification and a powerchip brand chip and again made a bit of a difference but nothing major. Thats what I remember anyway.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
I got one in my VS V6, i think the biggest benefit of them is the revised shift points, I pretty sure line pressure gets bumped up too.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive been doing my own tunes on my VS now for around 3 years or so, and yeah, you can bump up the auto trans line pressures for a firmer shift, and slightly speed up the shift times too. The main thing that makes the big difference with how these cars run is the ignition timing tables. Holden were pretty conservative with the timing in these tunes, Ive got a mostly standard ecotec engine, and im running up to 15 degrees more ignition advance in some areas of the timing tables. I do only use 98 octane fuel though. More ignition timing makes these engines a lot more responsive and makes them a lot better on fuel, especially if you like to open the throttle up a lot.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Cop chips are the myth....recalibrating memcals can be done
Some cop chips had a faster idle so the alternator would carry more electrical accessories when stationary for an extended time. That's all as far as I know.

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
Some cop chips had a faster idle so the alternator would carry more electrical accessories when stationary for an extended time. That's all as far as I know.

i think they had larger alternators for that, lets not get sidetarcked on the whole cop chip thing though. any proper memcal with a revised tune should have some benefit. the only ones that are rubbish are those ebay resistor things that trick you sensors

so yes powerchips do make a difference, but i would just order one from mace as theyre a site sponsor and will give you a discount for being a jc member

M1NTVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore 3.8L
could someone post the link for the power chips on the MACE site?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Some cop cars had a faster idle so the alternator would carry more electrical accessories when stationary for an extended time. That's all as far as I know.

I know the VT/VX/VY had a bigger alternator, a 120amp Mitsubishi model instead of the 100amp Bosch. Don't know if the idle was higher, its possible it did so that the revs wouldn't drop much for a large draw.