Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Powersteering pump stuffed?

Apoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-Series I-6-90
Hey peoples I have been noise hunting again, i still have a clicking noise under the bonnet but i think i might be onto the culprit this time.

I took the accessories belt off and spun all off my pulleys around and found that my powersteering pump made a bit of a clicking noise. So i then went to give it the wobble test (heaps technical make sure your a fully trained mechanic :) lol) anyways when i grabbed the pulley it pulled forwards and "clack" then i pushed it backwards "clack" like about 1.5mm of play forwards and backwards "clack ---- clack ---- clack ---- clack clack clack clack clack clack clack" :whistling

Is this normal? cause i went and scoped out the 2 other vns we have here and they both had a bit of play in them aswell not as much as mine but i couldnt be bothered putting one of them on my car if a new one has none of this sloppiness.

How much am i looking at for a new one anyways?

Also just double checking, it is cool to run the car without accessories belt for short periods of time (cause u got no water pump goin) right? Cause i didnt try this test yet...

Cheers,
Apoc.

Apoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-Series I-6-90
No it not injectors

Just in case someone says injectors, yep they go clack they sound fine cheers.

Apoc.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm told that the power steering pump failing is common on this model pump, love the diagnostic description:bow:

you could run the engine without the serpetine belt but no ALT, no waterpump so i wouldn't do it for long.

also, whatsthe fluid look like, does it smell burnt? ti should look the same as your trans fluid, bright red. if it ain't change it. my missus VS power steering use to whine, i changed the fluid a few time to clean it out and it's a lot better now;)

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Power steering is common on all Commodore models, price wise there are options, normally you can get a swap over for around $160 mark, I got a new one from repco for $190 no swap over; don't visit the Holden Dealer, there charging $367 for geniune part.

Apoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-Series I-6-90
Went to the commodore shop and asked if i could have a look at some of their pumps. I had a box of like 15 2nd hand ones that i fckd around with and like 7 reconditioned ones.

Anyways all of them had the same sort of end float of like 1mm anyways both new and reco'd so for $145 i didnt buy one i took the best of the 2 from the other vns and whacked it in. Its not quite as loud now but didnt get rid of my noise :( but i did run the car with the belt off and am now keen to change my harmonic balancer as the noise seemed to not be present with the belt off and all the other pulleys seem fine.

Apoc.