Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pre - delivery - what questions to ask

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
Hi folks

We are about to pick up our 2009 MY10 6 speed auto VE SSV Phantom wagon wagon tomorrow

What do most dealers do with customers when they collect their cars? Pre delivery checklist? Pre delivery and inspection check ? Customer Orientation ?

What types of service or warranty questions should we ask as the Dealer will cover a lot of things on delivery.

All we know is that the wagon is getting the 3000 km service done before delivery and covered with Holden 3 year warranty / 175,000kms plus dealership 2 year warranty = 5 years warranty

The catch is that the car has to be serviced at the dealership for that period - no problems for us

Is that standard practice these days with Holden dealerships?

Thanks

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Most dealers have set service costs, check that out so you know what you're up for when you take it in.

wigbilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV UTE M6
as regards the servicing at the specified dealer, i was under the impression that was only the extended warranty, and even that is a grey area. the 3 year manufacturers warranty should not be affected by where it is maintained. as regards the extended warranty the dealer you purchased wagon from try an impose the the notion it should be serviced by them, but i found out recently through the dealer i bought my ute from that so long as its a holden service it shouldnt really matter if a problem arose on the extended warranty...maybe worth checking as the dealer was only commenting on their stealership..

as regards evverything else, my ute was delivered to me on a truck and had 3km's on it, suffice to say check the wagon over with a fine tooth comb because once you have signed contract you are responsible, and say you got home and discovered a problem, common sense i know but some people so eager to get in it they dont check it over, a bit like a hire car...as we all know the dealer will be all over you now but as soon as you parted your cash and driven away you become a holden liability, watch holden turn from caring to not giving a sheet...above all good luck, enjoy it!!

Last edited:

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
Is the car brand new? If so, why is it having the 3000km service before delivery? It's meant to be an inspection AFTER 3000KM OF USE.

The normal warrantly doesn't need the car serviced at Holden. If the extended does, that's how they make all their money. Is it too late to not get the extended warranty? If something hasn't majorly failed due to a manufacturing prob in the first 3 years, it's not going to. They always have arguments why **** isn't covered when it happens anyway. Definately not worth it IMO.

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
I should have made it clear - its a DEMO model with 2285 kms - I have declined the extended warranty which is basically what they call as Premium cover $995 which is 3 years after standard warranty - thanks but NO THANKS

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
They'll normally throw in the 3000km service for free (but that's when buying new - not sure about demos).

I'd be checking to make sure there's oil in it, first and foremost! But also check to see if the 'detailer' has knocked anything loose - mine had the brake light on the sailplane knocked in, and he'd lost the aerial!

They are meant to go through a checklist with you, but few will bother - if you're new to VEs, push for them to go through it. Will save embarrassment when you go to fill up the first time (so I've heard). And make sure that any extras you've ordered have actually been fitted - it happens!

Your manufacturers warranty (3yr/100,000) will be fine so long as you get a log book service done with a licensed mechanic - so don't stress about that - you'll only lose the extended warranty - which covers FA anyway!

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
Made a checklist
* check Bank cheque
* check warranties
* check oil level
* check full tank of fuel
* check accessories supplied and fitted
* check ongoing service costs
* check relevant papers i.e. current rego papers and VIN / engine numbers match
* check my two year old is strapped in rear seats before driving off
* check digital camera with fresh batteries
* check contents from "trade in" car

Anything else that I might have omitted?

Wish me luck tomorrow

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
whats the recommended tyre pressure for 19" 245/40/19