Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pre-Purchase Advice. Issues?

extreme101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Ive recently wrote of my VT of many years. I am now looking at a basic stock VE Omega. 2006.

I have found one i like for $12,500 with brand new duel fuel installed. This is through a private sale.
I have gotten the RACV to do a comprehensive pre-purchase check on the vehicle. Here is the notes on the report.

- Oil Leaks. Flwheel Housing Area, Lower. (Oil Weepage Evident)
- Coolant Leaks. Theromstat Housing Area, Rear (Coolant staining evident also from front timing case areas)
- Panels. Boot Floor Crease. Rear Bumper Illfitting, Mounting/brace damaged.
- Heater/Dimister. Heater COntrols. Vents operation faulty. Blows air constantly to screen in all modes.

My main concern is how important these issues are, and whether they need fixing immediately; or can wait. And of course at what cost.

(The heater/dimister issues, i have checked, it seems as thought the dimister is on for the first minute or so and then it starts to operate normally.)
(The boot floor crease, tells me there has obviously been a rear accident. The crease is minor; does this have any larger issues i should worry about)

Would love your input!! Thanks.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Double check that you can change the HVAC mode (Blow through vents, floor, demist), as this can be a PITA to fix.
(Caused by a stripped HVAC actuator gear, someone on here had a similar issue, and was quoted hundreds of dollars to fix from Holden)...

If the HVAC is making a grinding noise when you choose different modes, then this will be an issue later on...

The Oil and Coolant leaks kinda depend on how bad they are.
(Is it leaving puddles of fluids behind whenever it is started, or is it just staining around those areas) ?

Sorry, mechanically I am not the best person to help here :(
But I am sure others more knowledgeable will chime in with their help

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Forget it, move on and keep looking.

extreme101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Thanks for your input!

Double check that you can change the HVAC mode (Blow through vents, floor, demist), as this can be a PITA to fix.
(Caused by a stripped HVAC actuator gear, someone on here had a similar issue, and was quoted hundreds of dollars to fix from Holden)...
If the HVAC is making a grinding noise when you choose different modes, then this will be an issue later on...
I checked this. They do swap modes and changes vents. Just for the first minute, it seemed to always come out of the demist aswell; regardless of the setting. Then it went back normal.

Forget it, move on and keep looking.
Could you please elaborate on your reasoning? Are these issues major; making the vehicle not worth the money.?

(getting dual fuel installed costs 3k. So i am factoring this into my pricing; as i will be installing dual fuel on a new car i purchase if it isnt already. This already has new dual fuel installed a month ago.)

For the most part the RACV check gave it the all clear. I just want to be sure; what these issues really 'mean'; Hence asking you guys.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Well to me it sounds like the car has had some damage, it wasn't looked after. By all means you can buy a car that has oil leaks from the flywheel area, and coolant leaks. But you will definitely be back here a few months down track begging for help because your car is overheating or it ticks for whatever reason.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I don't think $12k is cheap enough for a car with those issues. Keep looking mate, they're a dime a dozen. Buy one that's been well looked after and if its got leaks and faults which need fixing make sure it's cheap.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Ive recently wrote of my VT of many years. I am now looking at a basic stock VE Omega. 2006.

I have found one i like for $12,500 with brand new duel fuel installed. This is through a private sale.
I have gotten the RACV to do a comprehensive pre-purchase check on the vehicle. Here is the notes on the report.

- Oil Leaks. Flwheel Housing Area, Lower. (Oil Weepage Evident)
- Coolant Leaks. Theromstat Housing Area, Rear (Coolant staining evident also from front timing case areas)
- Panels. Boot Floor Crease. Rear Bumper Illfitting, Mounting/brace damaged.
- Heater/Dimister. Heater COntrols. Vents operation faulty. Blows air constantly to screen in all modes.

My main concern is how important these issues are, and whether they need fixing immediately; or can wait. And of course at what cost.

(The heater/dimister issues, i have checked, it seems as thought the dimister is on for the first minute or so and then it starts to operate normally.)
(The boot floor crease, tells me there has obviously been a rear accident. The crease is minor; does this have any larger issues i should worry about)

Would love your input!! Thanks.

Sounds like it's had a smack in the back and only been repaired half arsed. Keep looking.

Reaper

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Creases in the boot floor may indicate that the vehicle has been used to tow HEAVY trailer/van etc. I wouldn't touch it - AT ALL.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Creases in the boot floor may indicate that the vehicle has been used to tow HEAVY trailer/van etc or has been rear-ended. I wouldn't touch it - AT ALL.

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
So many VE's on carsales in better condition.
If it leaks anything, f**k it. Not worth the time, effort or cash.