Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Premium Fuel For VZ

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
What is the octane or RON of LPG

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I received an email re replies to this thread while driving, so back home now after a 540km smoky dash (11pm NYE -- no time for gin!) to and today, from Orbost / Goongerah. Early to bed tonight...

First reply re VZ on LPG: News to me. I've never seen a VZ on LPG, but quite a few OMEGA and Commodore sedans and wagons running it, some with Alloytec, others with SIDI engines. For fleet vehicles, LPG makes sense for where lots of travel is involved in keeping fuel costs respectable, but the gap between using premium fuels in e.g. SIDI engines and LPG in Alloytecs might well be closing. A factory-fitted LPG VZ might well be a little gem worth hanging on to. But I am interested in economy, not so how much effort is required or observed in overtaking. On my trip home today my economy varied across many speeds, but the best was at 110 and 100km through Gippsland (heading west), with economy at 7.7 L/100 at 110km+/h, to 5.5 L/100 at 100km/h and less over 25km rolling intervals. A few sources have said the VF engine could achieve 5.0 L/100km, but I haven't seen that yet.
LPG will need refills more frequently; I get 1,240km (open freeway/highway driving) per 71L tank of PULP98.

Where is LPG 67c /L? Here it is 87c a litre!

I remember this! Power spurts from that little square button are not unusual for the VZ Alloytec in neat condition, but to me the response is appreciably different and less refined (this is not a criticism!) compared to the SIDI engines e.g. the VZ will take a deep breath in power mode, then lift its skirt and bolt, while the SIDI in my VF is so subtle, smooth and controlled that any extra power being commanded is more of a "blink and you'll miss it" affair.

I definitely have a soft spot for the old (now re-sold) VZ wagon. It was hard to part with something that had served me so well, so reliably and so trouble-free for so long, save for major age-related repairs that took place in April and May last year that got me thinking that a change was in the wind!

Second reply re RON and LPG: RON is Research Octane Number applying to petrol e.g. 91 for regular, 95 for premium and 98 for the all-singing, all dancing 98 and the rarer (and costly)100 for toys like Testarosas (Fer.), Maseratis, Audis MB and other trinkets. The benefits of 95 and 98 will not be found until a lot of constant, high speed driving has been logged; typically around 2,000 to 5,000km and no around-town jaunts (as fuel economy is poor in large V6s around town on any RON fuel). The MON/RON rating for LPG (var.) is about 80 to 100+ and 20-30MJ/L -- I think this will vary on the LPG composition -- perhaps ask at a servo next time you're there. I think all LPG in Australia is produced by local refiners (?) In the future we might see a reduction in availability of LPG when hybrid cars become more widespread (e.g. within 10 years), pushing out traditional petrol and diesel-powered vehicles. Not exactly pie-in-the-sky observations; the wheels are already in motion.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost always use '95 and '98 (if prices are right)

Well, they are at the present time. I follow the rule:
when prices are rising, top-up incrementally; when prices are falling, fill-up the tank.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
What I put in depends on what my fuel level is at the start of each week. If I have less than a quarter of a tank I put in 91, between a quarter and half a tank 95 and more than half a tank 98. Most days I catch the train to work so I don't do a lot of driving mid week but do country road trips usually every couple of weeks

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Not sure if you have price cycles over east? Here in Perth, Monday’s are the cheapest day. Filling up or topping up on Monday helps a little.

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder Ute, MKII LV XR5 TURBO
i have always used 98 and find it works best, i felt the difference immediately from 91 to 98. it is good to stick to 98, though i try and be watchful of fuel cycles to try and get it when it is at it's cheapest

Last edited:

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I use only BP Ultimate 98 even in my lawnmower

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not sure if you have price cycles over east? Here in Perth, Monday’s are the cheapest day. Filling up or topping up on Monday helps a little.

You bet we have price cycles in Victoria! The independents, to their credit, hold their fire and are usually the latest to raise prices.
We're approaching the very bottom of the price cycle this weekend; I predict there will be a spike next week, possibly a large one because our dear friend Mr Trump deciding to wipe out an Iranian commander. Last time Iran was implicated in bombing a pipeline we were staring at fuel costing $1.959/L!!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I use only BP Ultimate 98 even in my lawnmower
Have you ever watched “Project Farm” on the YouTube’s? Does cool experiments with mower motors.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
As I don't do a lot of driving during the week price cycles don't usually worry me as I have a set budget for petrol during the week that sometimes I don't even use. Often during the week my car sits in my garage and the only time it goes out is to the shops or if my Dad borrows it. As others have said we certainly have price cycles over in the east but they don't usually affect me money wise due to the little driving I do.