Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Premium or regular unleaded?

fixxxer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I run mine on Optimax.

i find it better power and ecan, and i look at it this way, regardless of the price of petrol the different between standard and premium is always the same, so its always going to be $5 more, $5 is nothing. $5 less the other half can make me spend on her :)

5Lvrss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 sv6 auto I miss my SS
all to do with compression

if ur engine is a four cylinder running normal compression ther is a diff. the compression on any standard v8 is to low for premium fuel to have any effect other than cleaning a bit of carbon buildup off the valves. the only performance increase will be if your v8 has the compression of a four banger or some 6es. might as well use a bottle of moreys or something u can use a couple of times for cleaning up the internals. :w00t:

brett_brett

Reaction score
The Higher The Better

Any EFI or Electronic engine management system will detect higher octane fuel and ajust engine settings to suit,higher octane ,more ignition advance=more power.simple. lower octane fuel will ping or pre detonate in the engine before higher stuff will. The knock sensors detect pinging and retard the timing to suit.retarded timing = less power.. Also someone said
old cars shouldnt use it, well the old SUPER was 98 octane,STANDARD was 89.
when unleaded was introduced in 1988, it replaced standard fuel.It has since gone up to 91 octane.normal premium is 95 octane,and the good stuff(BP ultimate, caltex vortex 98, shell optimax.These are the best,especally when mixed with octane booster.I use this stuff to get an octane rating of around 100 octane. In europe they can buy 100 octane fuel at the bowser.lucky buggers.Ive never had any problems. I use Bp ultimate mostly.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
i normally run a full tank of premium BP through now and again to give my car a little more poke, it seems to respond to it nicely, though caltex 98ron is what my car seems to like the most, always works harder on a tank of that, else i mostly use BP regular, i refuse to use gull anything, it just doesnt seem fit to be called fuel o_O

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
In europe they can buy 100 octane fuel at the bowser.lucky buggers.Ive never had any problems. I use Bp ultimate mostly.

If the octane level is all you are worried about why arent you promoting ethanol, with octane levels up to and over 100?

This is an oldddd thread too. If they havent made their mind up yet, Im sure theyre not too concerned.

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
Whenever i do a highway trip to Sydney, i'll use premium. I can get an extra 250km out of the tank. Around town it doesn't seem to make much of a difference but i've got 850km on the highway out of the standard 59L tank several times before using premium. However, the car doesn't start as easily as it does with regular unleaded. Takes an extra few cranks to get it over and feels like it's running on 5 cylinders for a second or two. But anyway, it's worth paying the extra 6c per litre if i'm doing a highway trip. Noticeable power increase as well.

jesterofseven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
Yea the pocket is difference lol.

What i do is fill her up with Unleaded then every month or so i let it get low on the guage and fill her up with Premium. That way the crud is flushed and the engine gets some good stuff. And the pocket saves a bit for day to day use.

Premium will give you better performance, and unleaded slighty not so good. As the difference is 5 or 7 octane usually. Which doesnt justify the 15-20cents difference in price in my book, but meh, what can you do.

sik888

Reaction score
Members Ride
calias
BP Ultimate does the trick!

Holden V8 SS Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VN Track Car
I recently converted to premium and I ONLY run premium. It gives more milage and better overall performance. There are other benefits too. Fuel filter needs less replacing. Its like giving your body vitams each morning. Much better than unleaded so much better! And you can feel the car achieve a bit more power. Figuar this. It costs what about 4 5 bucks more than unleaded? You get about an extra 80-85ks out of premium in a V6 thats already 6 bucks covered infact you are saving on an average about 5 - 10bucks in the long run. So dude up to you I have asked alot of peop,e about his and most say premium. End of the day up to you. I have a V6 VS manual and love premium.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
yeah, and I drink BP for breakfast