Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Preparing Tie rods & Ends

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yo doods/homies/friends/companions/lovers.

What's up.

I have:

2x new Tie Rods
2x new Tie Rod Ends

The Tie Rods appear to be lubed up with a thick, dark grease. They are quite stiff to pivot on the ball, even after moving around a few times - as compared to the old tie rods, which move easily and freely.

Is this normal? Or do I need to clean out the new thick grease, and replace it with a thinner grease?

Cheers in advance :)

Mortus.

Last edited:

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
your old ones move freely because they are stuffed - thats why your replacing them.
everything you have just bought is fine to install as is.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Cheers guys :) Thought that may be the case.

One more question:

My new tie rod ends are NOT the type with a split-pin and castelled nut. There is no hole in the tie rod end thread to provide for a split pin, and it was supplied with a nut which contains some of that blue nylon lock-into-place stuff.

I'm presuming this is a perfectly safe alternative to the castelled nut and cotter?

Hillerus

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VP Exec,Gsx-R 750
Cheers guys :) Thought that may be the case.

One more question:

My new tie rod ends are NOT the type with a split-pin and castelled nut. There is no hole in the tie rod end thread to provide for a split pin, and it was supplied with a nut which contains some of that blue nylon lock-into-place stuff.

I'm presuming this is a perfectly safe alternative to the castelled nut and cotter?

Yeah mate, it's just a Nyloc nut. That will be fine.Most of the time with Nyloc nuts too, if the nylon is blue, its Metric thread, if its white, its Imperial.

Maybe throw a bit of Ant-seize on all the threads of everything too, it will make it easier if you need to disassemble it down the track.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Ahhh thankyou Hillerus :) Champion.

I was trying to track down some anti-sieze yesterday, but nobody has ANY in stock, except Autobarn who have a massive tube for $30.

Do not want.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
yeah nyloc nuts are meant to be like that they dont come loose and require you to use a rachet or spanner all way the off. You'll find pre vl's use castelled nuts on tie rods and ball joint vn on wards use nylex nuts (true for aftermarket parts anyway)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Nylex it is, then :) I can get used to that.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Factory tie rods on VN and VP are castle nuts. I might has a look on the VS and see how far into the future they went since that still has the original ones on it too

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
now, for the hard part.

I did mine the other day, my question to you is... can you find a place that sells new "lock washers"? i couldnt, so i "fixed" my own.

The nyloc nuts are total win! they wont come loose... just as good as the castella nuts they use in the old school cars :p

its not a hard job and fixes that annoying clunk you get when full lock!

aZk.