Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Preventing vehicle collisions / accidents on our roads

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
that first post was quick and i didnt go into detail.

What it comes down to, is most drivers only focus on whats infront of them, phone dash, car infront. what makes an exceptional driver is someone who can read the road and traffic around them and adjust. its knowing whats around you and cattering for faults in everyone on the road. this is what you get with experience on the road and can help if you have an advanced driving course under your belt. yes abs esc and trac control help, but we're dumbing down the need/attention of drivers, the new mercs or bmw, that stop the car before you rear-end someone, its great technology, but its ' ah she'll be right, the abs will help me or it'll stop', while typing a message. i dont need to know how to take off, trac control will kick in.
more experience and teaching on the road in all situations with a proper instructor.

i have said it a few times in a couple of threads that have popped up, like "what makes a good driver"

less driver distractions. Best example mobile phones. There should be police taskforces dedicated to busting people talking and stuffing around with phones when driving. Hit them with big fines and demerit points - zero tolerance.
same goes for all the other distracting crap manufacturers are putting into cars. The ads for the latest Commodore show the big touch display screen with blue tooth this and that. Too many driver distractions... I don't care if it's 'hands free', its just more crap to distract drivers from paying attention to what is going on outside their car. As far as I'm concerned ADR rules should created to ensure all of these devices are disabled whilst the car is in motion.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
I believe one way of reducing the amount of speed/hoon related accidents is for the government to subsidise/organise sponsorship of local racetracks and encourage drivers who have the 'need for speed' to take it to the racetrack. I've been to a few track days now, and it really has taken a lot of the urge away to put the boot in on the street. I'm probably almost a model citizen now when it comes to driving on the street! Because on the race track you get to push yourself and the car to the limit, releasing all that built up addrenaline that you usually would be tempted to release on the street. I no longer need to see how fast I can go around a street corner, or how fast my car accelerates on the highway. I really think if it cost a lot less money for boy racers to take their cars out on the track, then they would take up the opportunity and have less need to treat the roads like a racetrack
couldnt agree more... i want to do some track days out at eastern creek but its $240 at the cheapest... wakefeild park is cheaper but its a 3 hour drive to get there and youd probably pay what you saved in feul anyway

onca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec
Too true, people just don't look ahead. Like there is a car ahead stopped to turn right, the number of people who wait till they're up his arse and hitting the brakes before they decide to change lanes... then me, who spotted the guy 200m back and changed lanes already, must slow down to let them in or get sideswiped.

Agree with Darren... too many distractions, along with a false sense of security from the "safety features" packed into cars now. There's no substitute for keeping your bloody eyes open.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Personally I don't think there is any way to stop accidents happening - no-one ever means to have an accident! There is always going to be people who lose concentration, don't see something they should, etc. And there is always going to be c**kheads on the road too.

As far as rules/regulations go, there has to be a trade off between saftey and practicality. You can make harsher and harsher laws, and reduce speed limits but the positive effect on saftey may be far outweighed by the negative effects of making travelling harder for everyone.

Last edited:

r1inoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs series 2
less driver distractions. Best example mobile phones. There should be police taskforces dedicated to busting people talking and stuffing around with phones when driving. Hit them with big fines and demerit points - zero tolerance

how many times do u see the coppers on the phone....they cant even set an example

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
how many times do u see the coppers on the phone....they cant even set an example

Never yet. Only on radio, which incidentally, is legal.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ

Police are allowed to. (And before anyone goes into the whole 'that's unfair, 2 sets of rules' crap, there are 2 sets of rules. Build a bridge.)

T-rex

Reaction score
Members Ride
4 Banger Hilux
It depends on who's on the phone, I find all the people I know are very cautious and aware when their on the phone mainly because their looking for police, but you see (not to stereo type) a young girl on the phone right in it to her bestie or whatever not paying any attention. And all that awareness starts with **** like being courteous moving over a lane to let people in from a slip lane and actually giving way at a form one lane not racing to be there first, from what I've seen people who do that are better drivers and that all comes down to the attitude they have while driving.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I find all the people I know are very cautious and aware when their on the phone mainly because their looking for police

So while they're paranoid and looking for Police, they're not paying attention to everything else. Smart.

SinnieC

Reaction score
Where the cops are few & speed cameras are none QL
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I have been witness to many vehicle collisions in my time, some of these were due to people speeding, some due to other factors such as people driving under the influence, the driver's attitude and offenders evading Police.
What do you guys think will help reduce people slamming the pedal to the floor?

Stopping people from putting the pedal to the floor is not the key to preventing accidents as has been proven in Europe and the NT (I read somewhere that the number of car accidents in the NT have actually increased since capping the max speed limit). There needs to be a serious overhaul of speed limits and the conditions of the roads in this country. Living out in the sticks I drive anywhere from 1500 to 3500km's per week and if I sat on 100-110 along some of the longer stretches, I'd end up bored, losing my concentration or falling asleep.

We need more experienced/better educated driving instructors teaching our young learners too. They all teach the same basic crap not taking into account the personality and attitude of the learner. An overconfident leadfoot who thinks they know it all needs different training to a leaner who's nervous and scared when they get behind the wheel. I went to a couple of driving instructor when I was learning and it was a waste of time and money. in the end it was my mother and husband who taught me the most valuable lessons....mum taught me - don't just focus on the car in front, take note of the car up the road....take note of how the cars ahead move over the road (makes you aware of bumps, potholes and any possible obstructions that you may have to go around). Don't just check your rear view occasionally, I should be able to ask you at any given moment what is behind you and you should be able to answer correctly without looking. As for hubby well he knew my personality and that I liked powerful cars so he took me out in his vl, got me in the drivers seat and put me in a position where I found out for myself how everything can go from being really fun to being really fkd in a matter of seconds. i was in tears and shaking at the end but it was a lesson someone like me needed. Another thing driving instructors don't teach learners is that the condition of your car is paramount when it comes to safe driving, you could be the best driver in the world, it dont mean **** if you got bald tyres and worn brakes.

use your mirrors and focus on the road and not whats around

And that's how people end up with a young child as a hood ornament. If you don't focus on, or at least take not of, all your surrounds (as well as the road) you'll never see that kid playing in the park, yard or footpath off to the side up ahead and wont anticipate them darting into the path of your car until it's too late.

I could go on for pages with what I think would help prevent accidents but I will finish my ramble here with one last comment and a question.
When on the highway I often see people pulling just in front of semis and roadtrains and my gut churns 'cos these rigs can't stop on a dime. So please, unless you want to end up looking like a still shot from some gruesome horror movie, give them a bit of space.
Question - In the defensive etc driving courses you can do these days, do they have a program where you drive at 100kph and the tyre blows out? I think all learners should have to experience this (as well as a few other things) before getting their licence.

The End!