Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Price Guide ? Thanks

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
SOLD - VX, Now have MY14 CRUZE
Hey all, Been looking for a car to tow my boat with, And have been considering a VZ/SV6 likely, I'm just curious what the going prices are for these roughly at the moment?

I've been seeing 120-130 thousand K, SV6's on carsales for around 8k but unsure if that's what they'e actually selling as.

If it helps, I live in SA.

I know it's Blasphemy talking about ford in here, But I'm also considering a 2004 XR6 Turbo, they seem to be decent on fuel consumption, Pulls around 230kw, And my insurance company will insure it quite cheaply, And I've found two of them around 130 thousand k's for about 8 grand... Anyone know if that's roughly what they are worth also?

Thanks everyone! And sorry for the ignorance, I don't frequent many websites and only have this forum to ask for help about the cars really, thank you.

R

Risky

Are you looking at sedan, wagon or ute? I had a very quick look at redbook 2006 Holden Commodore SVZ VZ Auto MY06 Used Car Research - Used Car Prices - Compare Cars - RedBook.com.au
They were good value for money when new as they had $6000 in extras & prices today are on the mark. Don't be afraid of high kilometre vehicles if they have been serviced properly & at the right times.

I did a check on the Trading Post & found a 2006 Holden Commodore SVZ VZ MY06 4D Sedan just shy of $9K with 122***kms on the clock. It looks very clean & documented history https://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Cars/Cars-For-Sale/2006-HOLDEN-COMMODORE-SVZ-VZ-MY06-4D-SEDAN/Klemzig/SA/AdNumber=NFN87W

2005 Holden Commodore SV6 VZ just shy of $8K with 170***kms https://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Cars/Cars-For-Sale/2005-HOLDEN-COMMODORE-SV6-VZ-05-UPGRADE-4D-SEDAN/Klemzig/SA/AdNumber=RDS6R9

2005 Holden Crewman VZ Ute just shy of $8K. Didn't list kms but said it was low & serviced. https://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Cars/Cars-For-Sale/2005-HOLDEN-CREWMAN-VZ-CREW-CAB-UTILITY/Blair-Athol/SA/AdNumber=QNY4CB

Remember to haggle & deal in cash when you're buying a car sub $10K. If you're using it just purely for towing, I'd go for the Crewman. The tray looks hardly used so it looks as though it's had an easy life. If you have family or mates going in the boat then I'd recommend this. At least you have room for supplies & gear. Ute lids cost a fortune to have on & this has one. The only thing you'd need is a towbar. I reckon with haggling you could get $1200-$1500 off if you have cash on you.

If you're after a sedan then the 2006 Holden Commodore SVZ VZ MY06. Haggle and you might get up to $2000 off. It will need a towbar. I have SVZ seats in my ute now & they are very comfortable.

These are only suggestions but you didn't narrow down the body type. You could also go for a Statesman if you want more luxury. Hopefully you'll find what you want & keep us posted.

In regards with Fords, I've driven them as company cars in sedan, wagon & ute form & I hate them. LPG models are the worst and if you see an ex-company Ford which there are heaps on the market, they've been thrashed.

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Amazing! thank you, I'm not totally sure on body to be honest, It's for a daily second vehicle as well as a boat to tow with, the mrs will take the cruze off me.

I've actually seen a couple of cars I really like, How's this list?

2006 Holden Calais Sedan // 97000KM // Wanted 9, Can haggle 7,500 But I need a towbar
2005 Holden Commodore SV6 VZ // 122,000KM // Wants 7,500 // has a towbar
2005 Holden Commodore Ute // 129,000KM // Wants 5,500 // Has towbar
2007 Holden Crewman Ute // 138,000KM // Wants 8,500 // Has towbar, and canopy
2003 Ford xr6 ba ute // 129,000KM // Wants 9,000 // Needs Towbar (So may be out my budget anyway)

Are these decent deals? right now They seem to be the 4 I'm the most interested in, Mainly the Creman, And the Calais..

Been told to stay well away from VE Commodores by over 3 dealers, Timing Chain problems etc, one dealer said he will never get another one in, So I changed my plan from a Basic VE too.

R

Risky

The Cruze will keep your missus happy. Lucky she's letting you buy another vehicle. I don't know if you have kids or not but lets assume that you do.

The 2007 Holden Crewman Ute @ 138,000KM I would recommend highly. If you have kids it'll be easy to transport the family but have room in the tray for equipment etc. They are practical but again same rules apply, check the tray, bodywork, service history. If you haggle good enough, you might get it for $7K. Parts are still available from Holden as I've restored my ute but door cards & seats are a pain to get hold of. Even a VY Crewman is still a good buy. An SS version is an exceptional buy. The only 4 door ute Holden has ever made. If you can find a VZ Cross 8 or Cross 6 Crewman under $10K that's in good condition, snap it up. They are rare & fully optioned. They are AWD. My cousins husband had one & it's an excellent all-rounder.

The 2005 Holden Ute @ 129,000KM sounds good for it's price but make sure it's not been trashed by a tradie. The ones I was looking at on my search had interior parts missing, scratched, dinged panels & the tray was well used. Stay away from those. If you have kids, it's not practical but if it's on your list keep it in mind.

2006 Holden Calais Sedan @ 97000KM I'd keep on my watch list but do the usual checks.

The Ford XR6 Ute, if it's been well looked after fair enough but after driving Fords as company cars, I stay clear from them. Most of the kids here where I live have them & they are thrashed. They're also a good cop magnet & enjoy being wrapped around trees due to the live axle especially in the wet. There's plenty of YouTube videos of XR6's losing control in the wet & kissing telegraph poles.

Top of what you have there, I still say the Crewman in either V6 or V8. VE base models are hitting below the 10K bracket but they are high milers & VE utes are still commanding good prices regardless of mileage.

As I stated before, if you have cash on you, a dealer will haggle. The prices are good but they can still move better for you. The more money you save from haggling will help you pay rego etc. I paid $3800 for my ute. Sure the paint was faded but mechanically sound. I was going to sell her when I moved but I decided to restore it. I've been offered pretty strong money for it but she's a keeper.

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 Holden Calais Sedan @ 97000KM I'd keep on my watch list but do the usual checks.

Hey mate, Mrs doesn't enjoy the crewman so decided to look at the Claias Sedan, I've just went out in it for a test drive and fell in love.

There's no rattles, No bangs, full leather has not many marks, the car looks almost brand new.

What checks should I have been looking out for ? I'm not mechanically sound, but the thing was very very quiet, started up very easily, Only "flags" I have is it has 20 inch rims which look amazing on the car, But does that indicate a hoon? I've had mags, just never that big..

He won't budge at $7,500 and for $500 I should be able to get my towbar installed, So there's my 8k budget...

What should I have been looking for ? I'm going to try and get my mechanic to do a small do-over on it if he possibly can in the next day or so, But it looks good to me. I didn't notice anything wrong or any weird sounds or anything, Even the paddle shifters felt tight and new, and worked fine..

Paint has 1 or 2 scuff marks and scratches, and there's a slight crack in the rear reflector on the right side, but apart from that it looks very clean and tidy.

Help! My anxiety is going crazy, Never brought a used car privately before, Only ever from a used car dealer.

R

Risky

Well without being there she looks pretty tidy & doesn't show major signs of wear & tear for it's age. Cars under $10K you'll expect a bit of wear & tear. Marks & scratches aside on a nearly 10yr old car, a spray painter can fix those if you're pedantic but it looks clean enough. The interior looks exactly like my cousin's Cross 8. If you need more info regarding the VZ range, what to look out for & issues go here & scroll down https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-frequently-asked-questions.64281.

Cos it's a private sale you would have met the owner so you would have been able to tell if he thrashed it or not though I did notice in the photos gutter rash on the rims. Make sure there's no rim buckle. That'll cost about $90 per tyre to fix. The rims & tyres that are on it are not suitable for towing. I might be corrected but I think the original rims would have been 17's. Best to sell them & buy 17's and a good set of tyres buy some that off a ton of grip especially on a slipway with a boat or you'll end up with a 4 wheel boat. You will need to do some research into that. Here's an example from Wheeldemon who supply Holden with genuine rims https://www.wheeldemon.com.au/wheel/Holden/Commodore/VY-VZ%20Crewman%20SS/6530/vy-lx8-adventra. If someone you know who has a VT-VZ with Holden 17" rims, see if they'll swap. As you're buying privately remember buyer beware so make sure your mechanic goes through it top to tail before you buy. There will be no warranty on it so the risk is on you.

I also noticed in the photos that on the steering wheel the volume control button is broken. That'll need to be fixed. You can buy the part from a good wrecker or from Holden Spares themselves. if you can't install it yourself, a mechanic can do it. Also check the the LED displays are fully working especially for the climate control & stereo system. Replacing those are a bugger. The rear reflector can be bought cheaply from Holden Spares & you can replace that yourself.

If the engine & transmission are ok as you say & apart from what I could tell in the photos you supplied, then you got yourself a good ride.

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Well without being there she looks pretty tidy & doesn't show major signs of wear & tear for it's age.

Hey mate, Had my mechanic go over the car and there's no warning signs anywhere, The computer doesn't have any bad history in it, He said the suspension and buche's or whatever where really tight and good, Only thing he said was the rear tyres where a little worn and will need replacing. Other than that he said it's in immaculate condition for it's age.

Even the leather barely has any wear and tear.

I pick it up sometime next week hopefully, So I'll post a "Show us your ride" on it then.

Thanks for your help.