Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problem - Crossthreaded sump plug

Pete C

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
Hey guys, I'm just new on this site. I currently own a 1994 V6 VR belina and during an oil change, I managed to crossthread the sump plug. It's pretty stripped... Just wondering if anyone would know how to fix this problem, or anywhere I could take the car to to get it fixed. It seems like a relatively simple problem, but I have had trouble getting information on it. I have been told to get an oversize tap and plug from Holden, which I did, but it ended up being too small!?! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Pete

R

rickyute

Gday mate,

I've been in the trade for over ten years now and have sen some very dodgy things done to sump plugs. When people strip them they don't think about next time they need to drain the oil so you are doing the right thing by fixing it. There are many solutions open to you, some good, some just quick fix's. Heres just a few

1) Wrap thread tape around the sump plug and jam it back in.
2) Get a tap the same size (M15 X 1.5) and tap it out, then get a new sump plug (thread tape will still be needed to seal)
3) Remove the sump, clean and sand the hole well, fill it with steel knead-it, drill and tap it, purchase a new sump plug
4) If you acess to an oxy, tig or little mig and have the aproprate skills you can weld a new nut into the sump. Of course this will be need to be done with the sump removed as oil burns very well when heated enough (trust me)

Another alternative would be a helicoil kit but from my experience they are even worse than jamming the old plug back in.

Cheers

Will

S

Spyder

just tap the hole out to a larger size, say m16x1.5 and buy a appropriatly sized plug from a bolt shop, then hey presto no leaks and no thread tape needed either.

BTW when tapping try as hard as you can not to get any metal shavings into the sump, and if you want it would be good to flush the engine with some cheap oil to make sure you have gotten all the shavings out :)

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
there is a epoxy type stuff you can use. you smear one part in the hole then smear the activator on the bolt. you put the bolt in for 5mins then remove it and let it harden in the hole for 20mins. looks like new.

Lpl8r

Reaction score
if you use epoxy, will you be able to get the bolt back out again?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
if you use epoxy, will you be able to get the bolt back out again?

Im guessing so otherwise the second part of the instructions would be obsolete

Snap

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Commodore
There's an alternative. This also works for cross threaded spark plug holes.

A tool called a "Backtap" by Powerbuilt tools. Insert the tool and it spring loads out wards meaning that the metal comes out with the tap.

I saw a back tap for $40 at Repco but it should be cheaper online.

Hope this helps.

Mavae23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS commodore
i had the same problem, all I did was use a file and slowly made 2 flat edges on the rounded bolt.... then i found a tight fitting socket and hammered it over the bolt and then the rest is pretty simple from there.. worked good for me :)