Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problem starting VT

Melissa

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT HBD
Hi guys

I've had some problems with my VT not wanting to start.

I originally thought it was the battery because it sounded a bit sluggish when I started it over the last few weeks. I checked the battery voltage (on the dash - don't have a multimeter). When the car is running, it's 14.2, when off it's 11.4. The light on the battery is green too. We have been able to jump start the car a few times, but that doesn't always work, so now I don't think the battery is causing the problem. Both the battery and alternator are less than a year old.

I know that my ignition switch has been broken for ages - had to manually turn the key back after starting the car. Could this be the problem? Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Possibly the starter motor or dirty or loose connections.

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Make sure that the correct size battery was installed, and also the correct Alternator.

Maybe check if the Alternator wiring is in good condition, I had to get the wiring re done on mine because it was corroded badly.

Or like the guy said above, could be starter motor and bad leads.

Melissa

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT HBD
Thanks guys

Is it possible to have the starter motor tested? When i try starting it, I can hear what I think is the starter motor making a 'click' sound, then nothing. Other times it sounds like the starter motor is spinning, but only when it's being jump started.

eta: I asked my other half a few days ago if it could be the starter & he said there was no way it could be that. He's never wrong, so thats why I didn't mention it in my original post... :hmmm:

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Hhi Milissa,
When your battery is dead and you try to start it, it will make some ticking noises as it tries to turn over - but can't. But I'm defiantly no mechanic so don't take what i say as solid information.

But i think it would have to be your alternator or something like that because if it starts ok when you're being jump started, than it all comes back to Your car not having enough power to turn over.

I say just go down to an auto eleccy and show them your problem and they should know whats wrong and quote you. Don't let them suck you into getting it fixed by them if you can do it yourself though haha.

Ta

Melissa

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT HBD
lol thanks Joe. My dad told me to do the same thing yesterday - take her to the auto elec, play dumb and ask for a quote, never to return! I'd feel a bit bad doing that I think!

Anyway, I have a brand new starter motor - that wasn't the problem. I had the battery checked - it's not that. If the alternator was buggered, the battery wouldn't hold the charge, would it?

I'm still thinking ignition switch, or something in that area - the locksmith had to replace my barrel under warranty AGAIN, and I'm pretty sure he purposely broke everything he could. I know the spring in the switch it broken and has been for some time, so I'll replace it anyway and see what happens! :)

ispeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV Senator Signature
Had the same problem with my vt. it was rotten earth cables.

rockie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
hi

best way around it is go to a mechnic who has a computer conection and can do a diagnostics on your car try k mart they do it and i heard there cheap
this will help find your problem and stop all the running around your doing ring them first and ask how much to do it i know lube mobile do it but they
charge about 100 dollars hope this helps you

regards
rockie

Melissa

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT HBD
ispeed - thanks, will have to check it out.

rockie - thanks mate. Will have it tested as soon as the bank balance allows it!

I've just noticed that when the car wont start, the stereo needs to be reset in the same way it does after the battery has been disconnected, even though the battery hasn't been touched!