Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problem with transmission :(

B

bad_boyz

Hi,

As most of you would know, I recently bought a vl calais, and sadly it seems I am experiencing some minor problems with the auto transmission.

The other night I gave it some and then for some reason I think it got stuck in overdrive, cos when I pressed the power button the power light wouldn't come on. So anyway, I pulled up in the driveway, turned the car back on, and it seemed the power button/light was working again. HOWEVER! as of late the car seems to be running rather sluggishly, cos when I put my foot to the floor, in power mode, from a standing start, it hits about 2500 revs and doesn't take off like a VL should. Also, it seems when just driving normally, the car isn't as responsive as when I first got it.

So anyway, I was driving tonight and trying to take the car up to high speeds i.e. 100km/ph +, but unfortuantly when I turned the power button off (i.e. put it into overdrive yes?) nothing happened. I tried this a number of times, but no matter what clicking the power button on or off, nothing happened. In the past it has worked cos when I've been doing high speeds and turn the power button off I could hear and feel the transmission go up a gear. Now I'm thinking this might have happened cos when I first got the car I kept fu.cking with the power button, trying to figure out what it did. So I'm thinking I might have wrecked it that way, yes?

So I was wondering, if some knowledgable person out there could help me understand what is happening to my lovely Calais, and ultimately, how to get the problem rectified?

Also, what is the standard procedure by which you check the transmission fluid level in the VL?

Help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Adz

niggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8
To check the Trani Fluid, according to the Gregorys Manual:

Theres a dip stick (same as oil one) near the brake booster on the drivers side, just check it the same as a oil one, make sure the car is cold and in 'Netural'... or is it Drive??? ****... i'm 99% sure is N...

But!! I'm yet to find this dip stick in mine - so yeah, good luck :wave:

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
cold? Thats bizare because I was always told to check when warm to get acurate reading? know I damn near burned my whole bloody arm in the Magna lol (theyre a b!tch to get to)

Oh well chalk it up to being a bimbo female I guess! :eek:

Hmm I'll have to check mine in the VL.

D.

B

bad_boyz

That's the other thing, my car temperature always only reads as very cold. Even when I turn the engine on in normal whether and led it idle, or drive it around a bit, it only moves a little bit. Is it called the thermostat? Either way, it's farked!

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
Correct me if im wrong but the thermostat opens and closes depending on how hot the temperature gets.....i dont think it actually sends a signal to the ECU so there would have to be something else from the ecu to the engine that takes a reading of the temp....i would be getting that checked out

niggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8
As far as my understanding goes, theirs two thermo-sender thingys :drink:

there both next to each other, ones yellow, and ones brown (factory atleast) there on the last peace of the block before the top end hose going back to the rad.... anyways, Yellow sends temp info to the ecu, brown to the gauge on the dash... this is my understanding...

the point????

well since theres ecu and dash have diffenent senders, because the dash is munted doesn't mean the ecu is getting wrong readings, and becuase the dash is reading right, doesn't mean the ecu is getting right ones... just a though :p

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Your pretty much right, theres two senders one for dash and one for the ECU. If the dash one only reads really cold, then its most likley the sender thats buggered. If it takes ages to heat up then it could be a jammed open thermostat. I'd suggest replacing your thermostat if its real old anyway because the last thing you want is an alloy headed engine cooking itself.

Mike

balky

Reaction score
Getting back to the automatic problem. The vl automatic has a temp sender in the automatic gearbox. It will not select overdrive untill it heats up to the correct temp.
Some times it can take 5 minutes or more, depending on your driving style. If you have'nt already, service it, but beware if you do it yourself, take particular care of the bolts, cause one of the filter bolts has a nut on top, and if you drop it, you gotta drop the valve train to get it back.
The thermostat for the engine in on the motor end of the bottom hose. They cost about $45 from bursons.

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
The thermostat is piss easy to replace. I would recomend replacing the housing in most cases also. Be sure that the jiggle valve is in the uppermost position when fitting.

C

coolit

Auto Box

hey
What do you usally travel in Power mode or Eco mode. Cause if you drive around all the time eco and only using your power sometimes will have stuffed up your torque converter. I had to replace mine and now it's a good as new.

But also check your fuild levels and electrail wiring first cause my mate Vl was a wiring problem
good luck