Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems in VX after Cooling System Flush

Secki

Reaction score
Website
www.australianlawenforcement.com.au
Members Ride
VH Wagon SLX 253
Ok, ive flushed the cooling system/radiator/block/heater core, and am now experiencing the following problems in my girls VX Ecotech.....

1) Heater/hot air working on and off
2) Water/Liquid coming out of foot vents
3) Car overheating - dial going right up to max
4) Smoke/Steam coming out of vents with burning smell and coolant smell.
5) Coolant bubbling into overflow tank after city driving.

These happen on and off and in no particular order.

Any one can help?

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Geez, that sounds weird, like this is intermittent?
There can only be one explanation for steam to be coming out of the air vents, if you have a leak in your heater core. Any coolant on the ground normally where you would see the air conditioner water drainage?
I say maybe the heater core had sprung a leak with the person who had the car before, and they used bars leaks or something and you doing the flushing has cleaned the bars leak out.
Leave the cold/hot air vent on full cold for a couple of days and see if the problem exists.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
yeh if there wasnt a leak i'd say the water pump or rdiator has crapped itself, could be possible that running it so hot has caused the internal leak...id have it checked out ASAP either way

Secki

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VH Wagon SLX 253
i changed the thermostat, bled it, and put new radiator cap on (old one was crap) and havent had a drama yet.....the heater is working so at least she is happy about that......as for the temp, the highest it has got is 104, but its been sitting between 89-94

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
89-94 is alright, but I can't explain what causes the white vapour out of the vents, I hope someone else can as I would like to find out for myself.

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
Sounds like your up for a new Heater core , the symtoms you described are classic Heater core failure.Get onto it ASAP (your looking at $600) or you may do irreparable damage to your motor.

Secki

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VH Wagon SLX 253
ok since the last flush ive run some wynns cooling system flush through it, added Repco Coolant (commodore recommended)......all was fine for a few days,.......... then i get steam/smoke out of the windscreen vents.........what now? i think it is sounding like a heater core? if so what causes this problem any one know?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Not sure what causes the failure, age, wear etc. However, i do reccomend that you change it ASAP.

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
The steam and drips out of the vents, do you have the ac on. If so, the steam and drips can be caused by the ac drain tube being blocked.
If you havent been using the AC for the above to happen, then it does sound like the heater core is leaking.
You could bypass the heater by looping the heater hoses before the firewall. This will confirm the diagnosis. Will also buy you some time and $$$ if you cant afford either at present. Though not good at this time of year.