Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems with starting my car

Terence

Reaction score
i go to start the car, put the keys in the ignition, all the lights come on, turn the key right round to strat it and all the power dies, the dash light becomes very dim, and a single tick sound comes from the engine.

try again and all i get is the single tick,

try to lock the car, will not lock,

come back an hour later starts without a problem,

this has happened a few times

any ideas of what this could be???

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
might be a problem with your key.. you say you cant lock the doors so that could be the culprit might need ne batteries or even your car might need a new one.

T

t3zza

Terence said:
i go to start the car, put the keys in the ignition, all the lights come on, turn the key right round to strat it and all the power dies, the dash light becomes very dim, and a single tick sound comes from the engine.

try again and all i get is the single tick,

try to lock the car, will not lock,

come back an hour later starts without a problem,

this has happened a few times

any ideas of what this could be???
Could this be as simple that your car needs a new battery mate. How old is the battery that you have in it. When my battery died it did pretty much what you just explained. Mine being a V8 damm it needed a bit of power, so I went out and bought a 550 Cranking amp battery.. hehehe bet the standard 460 cranking amp batteries hold uses.

Terry

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
check to make sure your battery terminals are tightened i had a similiar problem and my Negative Connection was loose a tightened it and fixed it straight away

S

Sherman

Deffinetly needs a new battery in the car. That clicking sound is that the engine does not have enough power going to it to cranck the engine. Put in a new battery and all will be fine.

Terence

Reaction score
Sherman said:
Deffinetly needs a new battery in the car. That clicking sound is that the engine does not have enough power going to it to cranck the engine.
if that is the case, then why when i go back an hour later it will start without a problem?

B

Big_Lebowski

Terence said:
if that is the case, then why when i go back an hour later it will start without a problem?

Sometimes they get a bit of charge back just by sitting for a while...

Is it the type of battery you can open up? Maybe you have some dry cells and need to top it up with demineralised water?

jacko

Reaction score
I think it would probably be your battery. Your best bet might just be to go out and buy a new one.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Terence said:
i go to start the car, put the keys in the ignition, all the lights come on, turn the key right round to strat...

There's your problem. Turn the key to start, not strat...... hehehehe :)

S

Sherman

Terence it use to happen really often in our VN which we had years ago. The problem you are stating it appears that the battery is dying or on the verge of kicking the bucket. Like others said on the forum on occassions the battery may have enough of a charge to turn the engine over and vice versa not also having a charge. The inconsistant nature of the problem certainly points to a dying battery and if it is the case then sooner or later you won't be able to start the car. Also if you manage to start the car remember the car will begin to recharge the battery again. In your case the battery is not holding the charge consistantly indicating that the cells in the battery are damaged or maybe needing a top up with distilled water. Give it a shot and if it still does it- go for a new battery. If your battery is the maintainence free type you will no doubt need to get a new battery.