Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Programming a VE Headunit with USB OBDII

Wheatley098

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV Ute
Hi all I have just installed a new headunit to my VE Series 1 and would like to know if anyone here knows what program I can use on my Windows based laptop to program the units VIN to match the car so my stereo and heating/cooling features will work again, Have seen this done right in front of me before but the bloke refused to tell me the program (Obviously so he keeps making money off it) But I lack the funds to hire him again and really need to get this sorted so any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Before:

During:

After:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hi all I have just installed a new headunit to my VE Series 1 and would like to know if anyone here knows what program I can use on my Windows based laptop to program the units VIN to match the car so my stereo and heating/cooling features will work again, Have seen this done right in front of me before but the bloke refused to tell me the program (Obviously so he keeps making money off it) But I lack the funds to hire him again and really need to get this sorted so any help would be greatly appreciated:)
Its www.carmodder.com without the .au at the end. Thats why that link wasnt working :beer chug:

And there is no publicly available program to do any programming on any VE module actually, its all custom developed applications, not a freely available thing!

Also a standard usb OBD2 device isnt going to communicate with the headunit at all since it doesnt communicate over the standard CAN communication gateway, only the ECU for engine data can use an OBD2 elm device. Youll need something to jump onto the sw can bus.

Just a heads up on the work involved in reprogramming a headunit. Not only do you need programming knowledge, you also need full understand the the CAN protocol, how to interpret messages, how to filter messages, and to inject custom frames ect. Ontop of that you will also need to know the unlocking algorithm to be able to change/write any information to the headunit.
Its kinda like with tuning a ECU I guess, cant do anything unless you have reverse engineered the device and know the password combinations to unlock it, huge amount of time goes into that.

Thats all the stuff going on in the background of such a program, Not just a simple task of plugging in a cable and clicking a button!:spot on: