Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

programming VR key-heads / immobiliser override

M

mwb235

I have an early (1994) VR Calais, and have just replaced the ECU (engine computer), body control module (BCM) and Theft Deterrent Module (TDM) with the matching keyhead. But the old key that came with all this only worked twice before it died, so i need to replace the keyhead (I'm lucky it worked at all I think!). It is the later VS-type which are sealed at the factory so I can't just unscrew it and replace the battery myself. Anyway, I've had one of these bastards apart before and the battery is spot-welded onto the terminals, so it's a waste of time trying - Holden don't like people just replacing the battery at minimal cost, rather they want your money! :b: :b:

If I leave the new (unprogrammed) keyhead in the ignition for about 30-45 minutes, the security light goes off and I can start the car. However once I take the key out and the security light comes back on (after 30 secs) I have to wait another 30-45 minutes before it'll start the car again. Therefore it would appear that the 30-45 minutes is just an override period (i.e. the keyhead is not being prgrammed at all, rather the immobilser is overriden after this time).

My question is, so only a Holden (or Toyota) delaer with Tech-1 can permanently program keyheads, is this right? I don't want to have to pay them a cent unless I have to.

TIA ;)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I bought some keyheads through one of the places that cut keys/repair shoes etc. in a supermarket. They worked fine - $65 each.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
You are exactly right, the key needs to be programmed to the tdm/bcm
some locksmiths can do this if you have a working key, otherwise get a dealer to do it
Rob

M

mwb235

the locksmiths it'll be then - Wholdun can get faarked the original VR keys were fine until they stopped selling them. :bang:

thanks guys... :D

T

tripodum

programming vr key-heads/ immobiliser override

You can get the battery with the solder tags at Jaycar. might be better to get a helper to solder it in as the board is a bit tiny.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
just go to holden at the end of the day on a friday and they will usually do it for free to get you out of there! worked for me. :D

M

mwb235

i just paid $35 (1/2 hour labour) to the local Toyota dealership to program my 2 keyheads i provided, so that's now over with...

Niggadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Caprice V8. 1996 Proton satria.
well i just paid $135 for a new keyhead and to be programmed, $49 they charged me just for the two minutes worth of labor.
Absolute shanked me.
With the VS series 2 (mine) you can buy a blank keyhead and program it yourself like the others said.
Except, you have to start the car with the old key, unscrew the head while the car is running, screw the new head onto the old key (still in the ignition, switched on) and the new head will be programmed in 30 seconds to a minute.
For some stupid reason, i did not remember this today when i went to holden.
No tech1 needed.

Niggadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Caprice V8. 1996 Proton satria.
oww, sorry for digging, i didn't realise!

Kara

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy series 2
Got a little prob.. got a 03 vy commodore. i locked the by button but have had to unlock it by key n set the alarm off, normally i just have to start the car to turn off alarm. this time the alarm just keeps goin n the car wont start.. any help anyone???