Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

programming VR key-heads / immobiliser override

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by mwb235, Oct 3, 2005.

1. mwb235

mwb235 Guest

I have an early (1994) VR Calais, and have just replaced the ECU (engine computer), body control module (BCM) and Theft Deterrent Module (TDM) with the matching keyhead. But the old key that came with all this only worked twice before it died, so i need to replace the keyhead (I'm lucky it worked at all I think!). It is the later VS-type which are sealed at the factory so I can't just unscrew it and replace the battery myself. Anyway, I've had one of these bastards apart before and the battery is spot-welded onto the terminals, so it's a waste of time trying - Holden don't like people just replacing the battery at minimal cost, rather they want your money! :b: :b:

If I leave the new (unprogrammed) keyhead in the ignition for about 30-45 minutes, the security light goes off and I can start the car. However once I take the key out and the security light comes back on (after 30 secs) I have to wait another 30-45 minutes before it'll start the car again. Therefore it would appear that the 30-45 minutes is just an override period (i.e. the keyhead is not being prgrammed at all, rather the immobilser is overriden after this time).

My question is, so only a Holden (or Toyota) delaer with Tech-1 can permanently program keyheads, is this right? I don't want to have to pay them a cent unless I have to.

TIA ;)

2. BlackVXGTS

BlackVXGTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
    I bought some keyheads through one of the places that cut keys/repair shoes etc. in a supermarket. They worked fine - $65 each.

3. Doctor Bob

Doctor Bob Grandpa

Members Ride:
    RG. Colorado & Caravan
    You are exactly right, the key needs to be programmed to the tdm/bcm
    some locksmiths can do this if you have a working key, otherwise get a dealer to do it
    Rob

4. mwb235

mwb235 Guest

the locksmiths it'll be then - Wholdun can get faarked the original VR keys were fine until they stopped selling them. :bang:

thanks guys... :D

5. tripodum

tripodum Guest

programming vr key-heads/ immobiliser override

You can get the battery with the solder tags at Jaycar. might be better to get a helper to solder it in as the board is a bit tiny.

6. garfa

garfa New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    just go to holden at the end of the day on a friday and they will usually do it for free to get you out of there! worked for me. :D

7. mwb235

mwb235 Guest

i just paid $35 (1/2 hour labour) to the local Toyota dealership to program my 2 keyheads i provided, so that's now over with...

8. Niggadore

Niggadore New Member

Members Ride:
    1996 VS Caprice V8. 1996 Proton satria.
    well i just paid $135 for a new keyhead and to be programmed, $49 they charged me just for the two minutes worth of labor.
    Absolute shanked me.
    With the VS series 2 (mine) you can buy a blank keyhead and program it yourself like the others said.
    Except, you have to start the car with the old key, unscrew the head while the car is running, screw the new head onto the old key (still in the ignition, switched on) and the new head will be programmed in 30 seconds to a minute.
    For some stupid reason, i did not remember this today when i went to holden.
    No tech1 needed.

9. Niggadore

Niggadore New Member

Members Ride:
    1996 VS Caprice V8. 1996 Proton satria.
    oww, sorry for digging, i didn't realise!

10. Kara

Kara New Member

Members Ride:
    Vy series 2
    Got a little prob.. got a 03 vy commodore. i locked the by button but have had to unlock it by key n set the alarm off, normally i just have to start the car to turn off alarm. this time the alarm just keeps goin n the car wont start.. any help anyone???

11. wraith

wraith Hand over the dog bikkies

Members Ride:
    VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
    Start your own thread? That's a start.

12. Super_Low 91

Super_Low 91 ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Members Ride:
    Not a Commodore
    Other then digging an old thread, the info you provided is wrong..

13. liam_p

liam_p New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore
    Cheap replacement and re-program of VT Key

I have just re-programmed by VT Commodore (3 button) key following the battery going flat and button pads RS. You will need a working key and probably need to replace the head on this (which is probably due and still much cheaper that a new key).

Here is how;
    1. Buy new key head shells for your keys (I got mine on ebay - great and cheap, about $10.00 !!)
    2. Remove the screws and prise open your old key head (of the dead key) with a small screwdriver.
    3. Use a blade / small pliers to remove the battery. Get a replacement battery and place it on the circuit board. Either try to solder (watch the heat), or superglue the contacts on the new battery. I just bent the contacts towards the battery first, then superglue.
    4. Remove the screws and prise open the good key, so that the key blade is loose.
    5. Start the car with the good key, then slide off the head, leaving the key blade in the ignition.
    6. Slide on the head of the key you replaced the battery on. The car will program the key immediately. I left it in the ignition for a few minutes.
    7. Remove the key and re-assemble.
    8. Do the same for the working key, suggest you replace the key head with a new shell.

This process works! All up cost - $20.00 for two key shells. $3 for one new battery. TOTAL $23.
    I am putting pics together in an instruction manual. Email liam_p@rock.com for a copy.

14. Brett_jjj

Brett_jjj Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    The reason it works is because the old circuit board in the old key head doesnt loose its memory if the battery is removed,so its already programmed.You can just replace the battery in the way youve mentioned and it will work again anyway..These keys can not be programmed by putting them in the ignition.You buy a brand new blank key from ebay,they are around $40 -$50 and you try it,the new blank key will not program.You need a tech 1 or tech 2 scantool to program them from new,or key places like mr minit can use a working key to program a new key.....once theyve been programmed once,they cant be reprogrammed again...

15. liam_p

liam_p New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore
    Brett_jjj

Sorry, but the key HAD lost it's memory - IT DID NOT WORK else why would I have bothered ! The method I described DOES program the key, when the vehicle is started with a good key. You might be sceptical, perhaps you are thinking of another model.

16. liam_p

liam_p New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore
    PS. When I say it did not work ... buttons would not open doors or boot AND would not start car !! DOES NOW.

17. liam_p

liam_p New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore
  18. Brett_jjj

Brett_jjj Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Haha,it probably didnt work first up because of a bad contact there somewhere or whatever,Ive replaced the batteries in these keys before a few times now in VR and VS and have not had them lose their memory,(ive had them apart with no battery connected for a week or more with no memory loss).As I said before they are once only program,ask a holden tech about them...or have a read through some of the threads on here about it ..If the key is already programmed,then it will work again with the car it was programmed for as it stays programmed once its done from new..especially look for posts from dr bob who is sometimes floating around here on JC,he knows all there is to know about commodore electronics ,see what he says about it....

19. liam_p

liam_p New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore
    VR and VS - Not VT ??

20. liam_p

liam_p New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore