Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project "Better Than New" 1986 VL Berlina

MUSone

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Y Senator
Fitted an engine bay light today that comes on when bonnet is open, [some?] Calais models have one that comes on with park lights

All Calais are supposed to have that.. Berlinas with electrics should have the wiring for it. Not sure about coming on when park lights are on.

derjizm

www.F2thaK.com
Reaction score
Website
www.F2thaK.com
Members Ride
'86 VL Berlina RB30E
All Calais are supposed to have that.. Berlinas with electrics should have the wiring for it. Not sure about coming on when park lights are on.

Yeh I thought all Calais have them, but I put a Calais main harness in my 'L and its not there..? And it does come on with parkers, Ive tested it.

Got footwell lights hooked up today, they're not mounted quite properly just yet

DSC04941_zps94923f94.jpg

DavoVP

Reaction score
I double layered sound deadening and installed the carpet underlay stuff from a VS statesman in my VN.
Cut out a lot of road noise when on wet roads, but did next to nothing non wet roads.

Make sure you sound deaden the rear wheel arches in the boot. That helped the most. Add a thick layer of the paint on stuff and then two layers of the stick on stuff. Also re paint the insides of the arches too. Adds heaps of weight, but worth it.

Also, thinking about it now, don't use the carpet underlay stuff like I did, you'll need a thicker barrier to stop the sound, such as the thick stuff that's used under the carpet in VE's and FG's. (almost an inch thick) Made from foam and would be heaps better than carpet.

I used a cotton moving blanket in my VP when I did the carpet, It worked really well.

Discount Furniture Moving Blankets - Dirt Cheap Moving Blankets & Pads

One of those but the super thick version, Was a good cm or so.

Sik_Cordz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk 5LTR
i like the fuse box idea. how or what did you use to mount the fuse box to the body

derjizm

www.F2thaK.com
Reaction score
Website
www.F2thaK.com
Members Ride
'86 VL Berlina RB30E
couple of nice thick screws into the firewall, sealed with silicon. theyre hidden by the heatshield so arent visible inside engine bay. plus a cable tie for good measure. its quite sturdy

Sik_Cordz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk 5LTR
i think ill have to find a differnt way to mount it then.im in the middle of respraying my bay

derjizm

www.F2thaK.com
Reaction score
Website
www.F2thaK.com
Members Ride
'86 VL Berlina RB30E
Tidied up the boot with a new seal and zinc plated boot latches

Also I finally got my power window delay module working and fitted! It keeps the power on for 2 minutes after key is turned off. Im looking to produce and sell them.