Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
For us I believe it must exit after the passenger cabin and can't dump under the car either, diff dumps are a big no no so for a sedan either after the rear bumper or exit out the side after the rear wheels. I have seen utes with side exit exhausts.

But I'm gonna flange after the centre mufflers so I can do diff dumps.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
For us I believe it must exit after the passenger cabin and can't dump under the car either, diff dumps are a big no no so for a sedan either after the rear bumper or exit out the side after the rear wheels. I have seen utes with side exit exhausts.

But I'm gonna flange after the centre mufflers so I can do diff dumps.
Mine is a flange at end of headers, another flange around 3ft back from there on each side. Final flange is at the diff head after the hooker aerochamber, so the short dump pipe fits on and spits right below the axle shaft.
So I have options going forward.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Not much to update.

Drove the thing last weekend for the first time since christmas and got some new tyres (slightly wider on the rear this time).

I've booked the block in with Tony Knight (the guru) in 2 weeks to get machined and all his famous oiling mods done for the 355.

Then as soon as winter hits the old engine will be coming out, I'll be tidying up a few things I'm not quite happy with in the engine bay and swapping my heads and valve train over to the new engine.

I'd like to get one pass in on the 304 at the strip before it comes off the road so I'll have time slips to compare to.

It looks like the new engine will be around 430hp/500ftlb so in a reasonably light car which the gen 2's are it should be a good time. Apparently if I upgrade to a cam that can handle more duration and RPM (Like a 280 solid) I'll easily break into the mid to low 12's with my rear end and converter combo.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You're in good hands with TK.

(I'm still pissed all his good info was lost from the AV8 forum).

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
F280 is a nice cam will sound like a monster yet still streetable enough to cruise around in...thought tk would try convince you to go roller lol

Mine was stock valve 10.7:1 but reckon it could have done with bit more cr...320rwhp 4.5k stally,dodgey 9 inch diff starving holley red & 55 amp alternator lol

One day will get over that way to pay TK a visit also stop off at Capa

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
F280 is a nice cam will sound like a monster yet still streetable enough to cruise around in...thought tk would try convince you to go roller lol

Mine was stock valve 10.7:1 but reckon it could have done with bit more cr...320rwhp 4.5k stally,dodgey 9 inch diff starving holley red & 55 amp alternator lol

One day will get over that way to pay TK a visit also stop off at Capa
TK prefers the mechanical FT's I believe.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
For the regular f280 355 weekender/strip recipe yes tried & proven within decent budget.

Wanted me to step it up to next level when I had all parts to do 4 bolt mains etc but wanted to stay with f280 & have him port the heads & harrop single plane.

I was driving car everywhere in Sydney peak hour with 4.5k stally,4.56gears...felt that f280 was key part of its streetability.....aparently roller cam can be bigger spec wise but more usable for higher hp

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Update:
Been pretty busy working on a mates 304 rebuild on and off the past few weeks.
0EysH6n.jpeg

Going in a VQ Caprice. Keeping it pretty simple. I ran everything through the ultrasonic cleaner. New bearings, seals, gaskets, rings, honed, 30 thou off the heads to bump the comp up a tad, 276 cam, lifters and springs.

He wanted to keep it reasonably stock and tame but give it that little bit more while the engine was apart....anyone that knows me knows friends don't let friends use stock cams, so I did the extra work to set it up for a 276, which to be honest is one of my favourite cams for stockish engines, they are super torquey for street driving.

Mine went off to Tony Knight yesterday for Cleaning, Bore, Hone, Line Bore, Chev rear seal, decking and all the usual oiling mods.

I ordered the cam, main studs and timing set this morning so I can assemble the entire shortblock when it gets back. However I've told Tony not to rush as I don't need it anytime soon so I'll see it at some point I'm sure.
mQMLq6Q.jpeg

Took the car for a drive today after getting new tyres all round, much more agressive stance now.
225/55 on the front and 235/60 on the rear, the 4-1's clear speed humps now which is nice and it gave me that more agressive pro street raked stance that I like.
vV4qzLb.jpeg

jhRiQit.jpeg

I've also fit a VT booster to go with my VT brake conversion. I was running the VS plastic booster as most usually do but the booster was starting to fail so I thought I'd do it properly this time, it definately makes a difference. I painted it to match the firewall/engine bay.
rAaUwmt.jpeg