Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Do you know who owns the gold Stato next to yours in this pic, pretty sure it's my old car. Got different rims now to when I owned it

yGgubY8.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That looks a lot better than the factory item.

I'm of two minds about mine as I'm about to cut a big hole in the bonnet....
Where would you cut the hole though. I looked at mine tonight and if I cut a hole in the centre it would mean removing some of the bracing. I thought about getting low forward facing bonnet scoop, much like the ones you see on Hilux utes. I'd like to get some increased airflow over the inlet manifold to try and get the MAT down even more than I already have.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Where would you cut the hole though. I looked at mine tonight and if I cut a hole in the centre it would mean removing some of the bracing. I thought about getting low forward facing bonnet scoop, much like the ones you see on Hilux utes. I'd like to get some increased airflow over the inlet manifold to try and get the MAT down even more than I already have.
Where the air cleaner comes through the bonnet because of hi rise manifold :p

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Do you know who owns the gold Stato next to yours in this pic, pretty sure it's my old car. Got different rims now to when I owned it

Not sure sorry.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Where the air cleaner comes through the bonnet because of hi rise manifold :p
yeah ok but does that mean welding in new reininforcing? Serious question BTW?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Nope, just cut out what gets in my way. the throttle body has a threaded rod in the centre to hold down the air cleaner. So i'll just lower the bonnet onto that rod without the air cleaner in place to find the centre of where the air cleaner will sit and then start cutting....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Some fill in the gaps between the factory reinforcing and the bonnet skin. Looks awesome but time consuming.

Yeah and in most cases time is money. Probably just squirt some urethane on each brace where it's cut to hold it to the skin. Apologies Someguy for the hijack BTW.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I know when I cut a bonnet in a commodore a few years back through the bracing, I welded the inner skin back in place....Made it a hell of a lot stronger than the original skin fitting.....

IMA, the car was being painted, so welding it didn't matter with the paint work

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
pnm2vtg.jpg

Broke out the buff to give the old girl a polish and wax ready for a show n shine in a couple of weeks (also a bit of added winter protection).

Not much progress on the car of late, I've been remodeling/shuffling the garage. I've been working remotely a lot more lately and needed a space to work so I've set up shop in the shed.
It's been split down the middle with half office space/man cave and half vehicle storage, it's not much but it's more room than my old study in the house (and a good place to escape the Mrs's reality shows)

QPIfFsN.jpg

qo1PMMN.jpg

I've got my PC, TV, heating, cooling and a fridge, what more could I need.

At least now it's warm enough in here in winter for me to work on the car at night too.

Next update, a box has arrived this week from Autometer to replace the SAAS gauges (probably the worst things I've ever bought) very inaccurate and unreliable.