Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Wank: 1975 LH Torana V8

Rzeractor

Reaction score
Project Wank: 1975 LH Torana V8 [56k rofl]

Fellow Commodorians, here's my Torana project. Yes, it's not a Commodore, but I thought it's worth posting anyway:thumbsup:

Well, after having a nice ride with the Cortina, then passed on an ET Turbo Pulsar, I have, again, for the third time this year, bought another car. God damn I waste my money. :upset:
Over the next few months, You'll see how I waste my 'hard earned' cash and blow it all on a damn car. Woo.
I present you, a 1975 Holden Torana LH.

img1547zl7.jpg

• Cream coloured [original]
  • 6 Cyl badging (woo!)
  • 253 V8, single exhaust
  • M21 Aussie 4 speed manual
  • Dual Fuel
  • Tan coloured interior
  • 14" Mags, 225s on the rear, 215s on the front.
  • All purchased for the sum of $Too much :mad:
Glory Shots [The good]:

Mug Shots [The Bad]:

As you can see, The body is pretty straight, bare with those four mug shot pics. Other than that, it's basically the only rust on the car. Not bad for a 31 year old car.

Current Plans:
  • Replace standard fan with Clutch fan [Done]
  • Replace old warped Quaddy with 'new' unwarped Quaddy [Done]
  • New Diff [Done]
  • Fix Rust [In Progress]
  • Remove Ugly Trim [Done]
  • 600 Holley [Done]
  • Install Head Unit [Done]
  • Install Front speakers in kick panel [Done]
  • Twin 2 1/4 setup [Done]
  • Supra 5 speed
  • 245s on the rear
  • Aircon
  • Respray a 2pak Red over Black.
  • Possible SL/R Mock Up..
More plans to be added later as I think of them and as I have the $$ to do so :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Rzeractor

Reaction score
19th November 2006

Well, after hassling a few mates, finally found one with a spare quaddy (or two) which he didn't need anymore.

Before:

Off with the old:
img1489jm7.jpg

Woa :eek:
Carbie was warped 4 mill. Damn gas!
Seems the previous owner wasn't that keen to run it on petrol every so often :(
It was that badly warped, that it's secondaries didn't open under full throttle. No wonder why it had a massive flat spot when it was flat sticked.

And, on with the new:
img1659ut6.jpg

Woo. Yes, no choke. Not needed, really. And woo, the secondaries open freely.
As you can see it was leaking petrol due to the front hose not being clamped on tight enough. Doh!
Notice the new inlet manifold?
Seems that had a vacuum leak at the rear of it and it was causing a very very annoying high pitched whistle. $170 later, that was replaced. Shiny!

Freeway driving was disturbed by a non clutch engine fan. What that means is whatever rpm the engine is doing, the fan is also doing. Therefore, 100km/h was quite annoying with a massive 'whooshing' sound happening up front.
So a trip to a Holden wreckers in Thomastown $90 later, and this is the result:
img1660xq4.jpg

Now highway driving is nice and quiet :D
Yes, stupid me. I forgot to put the shroud back on. :eek:

Rzeractor

Reaction score
31st December 2006 - Broken Axle

Seems my little axle had enough and decided to **** itself as of 3:30pm 31/12/06.

img01293dp.jpg

Rzeractor

Reaction score
6th April 2007 - Bodywork started

Fellow Overclockers, it has been a long while since an update - however this time I actually got together with a mate Heath to work on the car. Body is about 50% complete.

Took eight hours total, I am very pleased with the end result, Heath is gun at this. He did most the hard stuff, I just prepped some sanding. Crazy value for two slabs of Harns Super Dry!

Got to Heaths at 11, and started to tear off the trim, and proceeded to grind off the stupid studs that support the trim. Argh - hows this for convenience. Only the passenger side door didn't have the studs, but all the other doors & guards did. God damn it. Aw yer, if you look closely, badges have also gone.
img0364tt0.jpg

Closer view before it was bogged and sanded
img0365su4.jpg

Heath away at work
img0366nq1.jpg

Ahh, the dreaded C pillar rust below the seal. Heres how it looked before:
img0367hf0.jpg

....And here's how it looked after.
img0368xo2.jpg

Phew! it was just surface rust. Suprising - by the looks of the outside before the paint was taken off I was assuming it'd be rooted.
So that was treated with rust preventer, wire brushed, & fibreglassed temporarily to this result:
img0370ne3.jpg

And at approximately 7:45PM, the body is complete for the day. You might also notice a bit of rust in the door which we worked on aswell. Almost forgot about that.
img0369md9.jpg

Debadged, de-trimmed, and most rust taken care of.

Hard days of work. Woo.

Edit: The trim on the passenger front door was glued on, therefore resulting the look above. I have worked out that some linseed oil will get this glue crap off so it'll look even better after that.

Rzeractor

Reaction score
15th April 2007 - Sides painted

Before:
img1565ix2.jpg

After:
img04061ng2.jpg

Woot, no ugly black trim anymore.
Naw, it isn't photoshopped. There's a bit of discoloration cause I haven't cut the paint back yet. Spray can said have to wait a week before doing anything like that to the car.

Rzeractor

Reaction score
28th April 2007 - Dual Exhaust

Well after a rediculous amount of money later, my Torry now has twin pipes.
Sounds even better now.
img0587fn0.jpg
img0585dg4.jpg

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Looks good mate. Gotta stop doing rollbacks though diff dont like it hey?
600 holley on a stock 253 will not go so well. Ive got a 600 on a very modified hz and its no good till i get over 4500rpm. Iif i were you i would go with a 465. Thats what ill be doing soon. Other than that she seems like a good project.

Rzeractor

Reaction score
Yer I know, 600 holley was all I could find at the time being, willing to swap someone for a 465 however. It's been rejetted though so it doesn't run as bad as you'd think - there's no flat spots.

Haha, damn weak bang-go's. Not to worry, I'm in the process of getting a Borgy from a donor VP, so no more broken diffs :D

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
Good stuff man, love toranas..... starting to regret getting rid of my old one...
Ahh well, good luck with it all.