Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Prolinear sub and amp pack at Repco

johnyd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive series II
Hi all,

I'm looking for a cheap upgrade to my mostly stock audio system in my vx commodore. I've put in this Clarion headunit

Clarion Australia | CZ200A

but still have the stock speakers.

There is a 12" sub, enclosure and 200W amplifier pack by Prolinear in the Repco Christmas catalogue for $129. I haven't heard of prolinear before and don't want to waste what little money I have on a dud system.

Would I be better served in replacing the stock speakers now and waiting until I can afford a more expensive amp and sub later on?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Waste of money IMO.

johnyd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive series II
I don't need anything really high in quality and only have $160 left in my audio budget so thought I would ask. Might see if they have it hooked up later today and see if it sounds alright anyway, I'm heading there anyway.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Well can't hurt.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Mate your budget dosen't really cover anything. Even if you did buy the amp and sub package, you then have to go and buy a wiring kit, i assume it dosent come with one.

If you want to keep it really simple, just replace your front and rear, and then amplify them. Even if you were buying used, some 6-6.5'' splits up front, and some 6x9's down back, would probably be your budget spent. You will still need an amp and wiring kit.

Maybe if you had about $250 to spend, then you could put something together, there's a lot of used components out there.

That sub wouldn't put out any more bass than a decent set of 6x9's anyway, especially in such a large car.

I'd favour the 6x9's for their full range increase, even if they do draw some of the low fq's rearward, at that price range i wouldn't concern myself.

johnyd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive series II
They didn't have it setup so I couldn't listen. My other option (other than waiting) is to replace the stock speakers without amplifying and waiting 6 months or so when funds allow to get an amplifier.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I'd go with that option. Most after market speakers should have a higher sensitivity rating, meaning they will at least be louder than standard speakers when powered off an aftermarket head unit.

If long term you really want a sub, then i would only be replacing the front speakers. Otherwise if your just after a bit more volume and clearer sound, then i would look into some 6x9's in the rear, and adding a 4 channel amp when you can afford to.

Are you against buying used components?

johnyd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive series II
I'm not against buying used components but I don't get things online very often, it's more a case of what I can get hold of locally for me. I like a store so I can go and yell at someone if it doesn't work ;) There are some Clarion 6" that I liked the sound off going on sale as well so I might get a set of them and leave the rest of the upgrades for later.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Remember those speakers you heard on a demo board , were most likely being driven by an amp, and may have even been playing with a sub aswell..