Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pulley question

bailzski

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE omega 3.6l
Hey guys I’ve got a worn pulley, on idle I have a wobbly noise and occasional belt squeak so I’ll be replacing that (I think it’s the idler pulley not 100% sure yet.) I’ll replace the belt too while I’m there. If it’s a pulley is there a chance I’ll hear the same sort of wobbly noise whilst accelerating? Because I’m yet to diagnose that and was wondering if it the pulley. And is it worth getting one from the wreckers or going brand new? Cheers guys

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The new ones are cheap enough, forget about used ones.
One thing you could try is repacking the bearings with grease, provided the bearings have not been damaged too much. Just need to lever up the plastic seal on one side repack with grease, replace seal, and repeat for the other side.

bailzski

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE omega 3.6l
Upon further inspection it seems to be the tensioner pulley as the lower part is bouncing. Any recommendations on where to buy a new one? I know I should probably replace all the pulleys while I’m there but I’m on a budget. Cheers

BADTR1P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
I got mine from ebay using delco part number. Came in a pack with new belt, although belt seems a couple mm too small so ended up just putting the old one back on. But the tensioner was correct and no longer bounces side to side

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
it seems to be the tensioner pulley as the lower part is bouncing.
This is often a symptom of an alternator one way clutch failure. If the alternator pulley doesn't slip in one direction the belt does a really fast toughen-loosen thing and the tensioner jiggles all the time.

bailzski

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE omega 3.6l
This is often a symptom of an alternator one way clutch failure. If the alternator pulley doesn't slip in one direction the belt does a really fast toughen-loosen thing and the tensioner jiggles all the time.
Are you able to simplify this for me possibly? Does this mean that my alternator or clutch is dodgy? Or just the pulley? Should I even bother replacing the tensioner or should I do that first as process of elimination? Cheers

bailzski

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE omega 3.6l
Are you able to simplify this for me possibly? Does this mean that my alternator or clutch is dodgy? Or just the pulley? Should I even bother replacing the tensioner or should I do that first as process of elimination? Cheers
Apologies a simple google search answered my question

BADTR1P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Interestingly I replaced the tensioner right after replacing my failed alternator but never realised they could be related.