Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pulling apart VX headlight..

Bluewildangel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt II supercharged

Last edited:

mad_vx_5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Spac 5speed
Thanks for the comments all!

Yeah im going to put some silicone around the join tomorrow at work to make sure its sealed properly

BTW, i went out to wash my mums car and as i came home i noticed the insides of the headlights have fogged up, i think its because of the heat inside (from, the heater I just used on it about an hour ago) and the cold outside, ill see what happens in a few days time.

I used to be scared to touch anything on my car, i remember a time when i first bought my first car, an EA falcon I wouldnt mod anything on the car unless I bought a spare 1st

I was kind of like that with the VX for a while when i just got it now i just dont give a rats anymore:p

By the way next mod im planning,
I'm designing my own lip spoiler for the VX, using a mould of my EA's, EA SVO spoiler so hopefully that will turn out alright aswell, starting to get sick of the stock S spoiler

Bluewildangel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt II supercharged
edited23.jpg

IMGP0951.jpg

mad_vx_5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Spac 5speed
well there you go, seems it even works on VT's afterall!

heres a close up pic of my lights
DSCF3213.jpg

also for the little end bit near the indicators I washed the silver paint off using paint thinner, then panited it black

Bluewildangel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt II supercharged
to get rid of the condensation you unplug the lights and let them air out
becasue there is still water from when you soaked them in the water I to had this prob at first and this fixed it and hasnt fogged up since

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
How does the paint go with the heat from the lights?
I've been thinking of doing this for some time.

Bluewildangel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt II supercharged
no problems with mine you could always use vht high temp black paint if your worried

karlos_1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Yeah this is a top idea, im glad someones had the time to have a go at it.
I been wanting SS headlights for ages, but they're just too ****ing expensive.
How did you go re-sealing them? I know u heated them and pressed them back together, but does it look dodgy n does it keep the water out when it rains/wash the car etc?
I'd love to have a crack at this, but i think i'll grab a set from the wreckers and use them, and put them in when finished, save me pullin the front bumper on and off every weekend until they're done.

Also did you prep the silver frame inside, or just paint over it?

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
glad someone finally managed to do it!

I brought SS headlights for the VX when I had it.

Problem was they were the very first ones which apparantly had an issue. The heat from the globe would heat up the black rubber inside the lense which caused it to melt off a gas. The gas would then build up on the inside of the lense and made it look permanantly foggy.

I couldnt find an answer on how to get into them to wipe the build up off the inside of the lense, so I had to take the headlight globe out, get a small piece of cloth attached to some sewing cotton (so I could yank it back out), cram it in and get a screwdriver and push it around.

Accidently scratched one of the lenses :whistling but after about 2 hours I managed to wipe off both lenses to an ok level.

I then made the mistake of putting water in to finish the job. The water dried and left little drop spots everywhere on the inside of the lense and reflector which didnt affect the light but you could notice it when looking up close :whistling

If I'd been able to get into the bloody things to wash the lense properly I reckon it woulda looked schmick.

johnny_boi85

johnny_boi
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 3.8L 98 and VE Omega S1 3.6L 07
defentley going to give it a go a mate just gave me a set of headlights off his WH caprice for my VT executive just wondering what black paint did you use to spray em and did you take any pics while you had it apart spray em by any chance.