Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Purchased used VE Series 2 Sportwagon - Realised 75,000kms service was missed.

jaime85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS
I recently purchased a used Commodore VE Sportswagon VE Series 2 and only after purchasing and going through the log books again I have realised that they have not stamped the 75,000kms service. The two services done in between were at 63,000kms and then 88,000kms. Which is about 25,000kms between services. The car now has 120,000kms

How detrimental would this be for the engine? All other services have been at 15,000-17,000kms. Anything I should be specifically looking for?

Have your guys VE been running ok when you might have accidentally skipped a service?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
The Alloytec motor is very susceptible to sludge, even when you miss the service by a few thousand km's.

Possible implications could range from none to possible engine failure.

jaime85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS
Thanks is there anyway I can check for sludge or precautions that I can take now?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
where was it purchased from, was it same place as service, , check with them, may have records if it ws

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Thanks is there anyway I can check for sludge or precautions that I can take now?

Have a look under the oil fill cap for build up , if there is build up present, give it a couple of quick oil changes , with minimal Ks to flush build up out , change filter each time too . After that change oil every 7500-10,000km .

jaime85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS
Cheers I had a look and it was pretty clean. There was a very fine thin amount of dirt build up in the outer rim of the oil cap, I think it's just a bit of dirt. But nothing on the inner where the oil cap is open to the engine. I will change at 7500 from now on.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Cheers I had a look and it was pretty clean. There was a very fine thin amount of dirt build up in the outer rim of the oil cap, I think it's just a bit of dirt. But nothing on the inner where the oil cap is open to the engine. I will change at 7500 from now on.

good to hear , even so I'd give it a service anyway , if not already done so .

jaime85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS
I purchased it privately but the guy had it serviced at a local dealer. I may try ring them and see if it was just missed stamp , although I doubt it for some reason. They did sign and stamp both the 75, 000 and 90, 000 services but on the same day, when they did the 90, 000km service.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I purchased it privately but the guy had it serviced at a local dealer. I may try ring them and see if it was just missed stamp , although I doubt it for some reason. They did sign and stamp both the 75, 000 and 90, 000 services but on the same day, when they did the 90, 000km service.

That would mean that did all the items of both the 75K and 90K service, with the 90K being the major service basically as you said it has skipped the 75K. All you can do is service it properly from now on. Hopefully you'll have no issue. Myself with these annual services I think you are better instead of doing service annual (assuming not more than 15,000Km) that if you service your car 3 times over 2 year period, so at least every 8 months. You are only doing one additional service over 2 years and your car will be better for it, if you go a step further and do 6 monthly even better.

Edit, just adding to this at least if the servicing has been with correct oil hopefully you'll be OK. I wonder with the cars that have the sludging if the oil used has been cheaper grade oils and not a specified oil. This is one benefit of oil changing yourself is you know what goes into it.