Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Purchasing a VE - What to look for?

ShadoVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE Commodore
Hi,

I used to frequent here a long time ago and forgot my username, so I made a new one.

ANYWAY...

I'm going to look at a VE on Saturday, 2008 Omega with 150ks on it.. Is there anything I should watch out for?

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Service history, also especially if it's an early '08, as with 06 and 07, they have timing chain issues, if the car you are looking has good service history, and with a bit of luck if timing chain has already been replaced, you're off to a good start.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Look for a car that's been looked after. If so 150k is nothing and you should get another 150k out of it.
Check the trans has been serviced at least once, oil is clean and it idles quietly with no rattles. Also if the shocks are stuffed or not but you may be wanting to replace those anyway.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Ask and try get as much Service history as you can, and ask them how long have they owned the vehicle for. If for a long time, ask them if they have done the timing chain / tensioners etc. If not, chances are you will have to do it when you own it (Add an extra 1k-2 ontops if you have to do it). Once chains and everything has been done the car is not a bad drive :)

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
As others said look for complete service history, if there's any gaps then walk away. The alloytec is prone to sludging.

Also look for oil leaks from the timing chain cover, very common on cars with that mileage and a big job to fix.

Then there's the dreaded timing chain itself, mine were stretched at 150k and had to be replaced and there's an awful lot of VE's being sold at around those km. If you buy the car I'd suggest having a spare couple of grand in your pocket and be prepared for the worst.

That being said the VE is a nice car to drive and are pretty solid.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Ask the seller to make sure that they don't start it before you get there. If possible, always inspect a car when the engine's cold - that way you're able to hear any startup noises that may be a sign of engine wear. Open the bonnet when you get there and feel the engine to make sure it's cold too.

If they can't help but start it before you get there, then it may be a sign that there's something wrong with it. Other than that, check the colour and smell of the oil. It's easy to tell when they've been overheated, the oil stinks. Sometimes you can even smell it from outside the car. Obviously the condition of the interior and exterior will give you a good idea of how well it's been looked after, from which you can generally make a good judgement of how well the driveline's been taken care of.

Good luck with it!

weemankai

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
Ask the seller to make sure that they don't start it before you get there. If possible, always inspect a car when the engine's cold - that way you're able to hear any startup noises that may be a sign of engine wear. Open the bonnet when you get there and feel the engine to make sure it's cold too.

This. This is what dealers do. That's why they ask what day/time you can come look at the car.

Also to get the car out for you but that's a cover up I say!

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
I'm going to look at a VE on Saturday, 2008 Omega with 150ks on it.. Is there anything I should watch out for?

The same things as if you were buying any second hand car. There's a few sticky threads that cover recalls, frequently ask questions and the timing chain. Someone also posted a 10 years later asking how people's VEs have faired. Could be worth a read too.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Make sure that it hasn't been through the floods and immersed completely soaking everything. Remember, there are people around who are extrememly good at buying flooded vehicles cheapy, cleaning them up and on-selling without any disclosure to the purchaser. Try and buy through a reputable dealer and get a decent warranty.