Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Purchasing a VY SS

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh have a look around plenty of bargains out there and more will be coming up, could even get a clean vz with low kays in the price range your looking at, saw a vz clubby for $28k with 50,000 km's on the clock about a month ago in melbourne was a base model clubby in blue and clean as.

also if your head unit is a single unit and not the size of the 6disc in dash vy/vz units you can get the pontiac gto facia kit for them and the unit bolts in behind the facia kit and the air pro (i think it was) adapter plug for your headunit for the vy/vz and it will make the installation job nice and easy with no mucking around, $8-$15 from auto bahn for the plug and $50-$70 for the facia kit, well worth it thats what i did with my vy ss. theres two styles for the facia kit, a cheap shiny black plastic and a slightly more expensive one in a mat black plastic thats the one i got for $70 but got it from jb hi-fi and they did it for $55 as i bought a few other things, looks heaps better and looks like it was there from factory.

Mavr1k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Speed Manual
Thanks for the hint CP. I have been wondering about what i was going to do stereo wise as i knew there would be a bit of space left over....Was eventually going to head to the audio section of these forums for some ideas! That sounds cheap & easy enough to do though.. Do you have any pics? Does any JB sell those? I can't say i have ever noticed them selling car parts before, just decks & speakers...

Am going to go look at a couple of cars tomorrow (or today given its past 12) & am hoping i can strike the right deal... I know i could probably get one a little cheaper interstate, but to be honest don't really want to have to go to that much trouble...Sounds lazy i know but.....

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
go to this link and scroll down, you'll find 4 or 5 pics, one or two are of the dash and will give you a good look at the headunit facia, you'll see its not a shiny gloss black and looks better and not as cheap. if jb hi-fi don't have it the auto bahn will, but jb hi-fi you can bargain with and ask whats the best price they can do especially of buying a few things, but i got the facia of them and the aer pro plug connector, trust me its worth the $8-$15 for it, and if you ever decide to sell it and turn back to factory you just unplug and plug factory connector back into factory headunit.

also got wirring for amp and sub same day and the pioneer i pod unit a week later but i told the guy what i bought the week before so he gave me another big discount, hope this helps anyway.

the headunit sits behind, but its just the face that sits reletivly flush with the front of the facia, so won't stick out like if the head unit was in an older model car.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vy-vz-wk-wl-v2/82091-bennys-vy-ss.html

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
For the money you have to spend you'll get into a vz ss for that price.

Mavr1k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Speed Manual
That facia looks good CP....Thanks....Nice rims on your ride too. Am in 2 minds at the moment when i get mine wether to stick with stock SS rims or to upgrade....Decisions decisions.

Mavr1k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Speed Manual
Just wanted thank everyone for their input throughout this thread. I have purchased the car i wanted & am hoping to pick up tuesday. Will get pics up in the My Ride thread once i have taken delivery! :D

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Nice one! Keen to see some pix!

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
good work mavr1k, thanks, yeh i'm depating weather to keep the rims on mine or go back to some factory holden or hsv wheels, not the vy ss though, maybe some ssz or 19's hsv maybe, see what happens.